Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Single Parenthood: Day 2

I cheated a little (wait.... finish the damn sentence before you go judging me....) and brought another semi-responsible adult into my world yesterday. My sister came to work, swapped cars with me, and got Sweet Boy from daycare. Then we all met at my house and went for a lovely walk.... with only two neighbor encounters -one bad & one good- for excitement. The "bad" neighbor said some vaguely menacing things about my (on a leash) dog and his pigeons. He didn't actually say my dog was a problem but warned me to not let him run by his house. I'm pretty sure he doesn't know what the hell he's talking about because my dog is penned during the day and doesn't cross the road to where his house is... but whatever. The "good" neighbor specifically came down to tell me not to let the "bad" neighbor bully me. Apparently he considers himself "The Mayor of the Gulch" and has run-ins with almost every neighbor including pulling a GUN on one, running one off the road and chasing her with a walking stick, shooting another's rooster & leaving it on someone else's doorstep. Charming. So how funny will I look going for a walk with my red fleece jacket, yuppy trek jogger stroller & a giant shotgun over my shoulder? Can I call it a cardio-weights combo workout? I think for the next few weeks I will walk the other direction even if it means sticking to the paved road with more traffic.

So when Hot Stuff called home to complain about how much math he has to do in his class (He swears it is worse than calculus....) I had a story to tell him. He was, um, less than pleased.

Sweet Boy... being the angel-boy that he is capable of being... went to bed at 8:30 and slept until 7:45 am. Not a peep.... except the cat banging on the door around midnight wanting out of his room.

We did better this morning... not that I left the house before 9:00... but I slept in until 7:30....

1 comment:

Joseph said...

Um, you seem to be losing ground here, but then who am I to talk?