Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Story of Stuff

Isn't it interesting.... when we start to talk about simplification the first thing we do is think about all the things we can throw away and replace with a more simplified version? Or all the things we can buy to make us more organized and more simplified?

Seems a little backwards, doesn't it?

At The Homestead we've been focused on buying less... for budget reasons, for simplicity reasons, for green reasons.

And one look in the cupboard will tell you we know how to repurpose an old glass jar.

I've been looking at the list on storyofstuff.com and making a few lists of my own:

Good:

I reconfigured the computer and entertainment center and charger station to be on power strips I can turn off when not in use. Although this did create a bit of conflict when Hot Stuff's cell phone didn't get charged... oops.

I am slowly but surly replacing our light bulbs with the curly-que ones.

I buy in bulk.... but I'm seriously bummed there is no recycling for plastic trays.

Recycling. We give our pop cans to the local humane society. Metal cans & glass get recycled. They take plastics 4 times a year but not all types. Recycling (the bulk of it) makes Hot Stuff insane. Fortunately I have the back half of the lean-to for my recycling projects.

We mostly use a steam cleaner or vinegar or baking soda for cleaning. I even gave up my adored Soft Scrub with Bleach for a homemade mixture called Eco Scrub. (Repurposing an old Soft Scrub bottle, of course.)

Repurposing. I rock at this. Our cupboards are all organized with canning jars and old pickle containers. I have the luxury of space so I can keep lots of old containers in the lean-to for when I need one that is just right. All of my spices that I have in quantity (purchased in bulk... not for any noble green reason but because they are cheaper and fresher) are organized in old caramel sauce jars.

Yes, I admit, I rinse out ziploc bags.

We've put the kids to work on a "turn off the lights" campaign.... I think it is really working. And it discourages the little one from playing in the laundry room.

We use a clothesline quite a bit of the year.

We buy mostly used things or get hand-me-downs. (I said I needed little juice-size glasses for the kids.... my secretary found 3 at a thrift store, my mil gave me several old pimento jars (perfect) & my mom gave me a set of 5 glasses that we drank juice out of when we were kids.) It does pay to ask... Oh, and before you ask... the 78 and 73 hangers in that other post.... ALL HAND ME DOWNS. (Ok.... a few gifts as well....)

For the most part I bring my own bags. (Except at Target... why not at Target??)

We compost..... another thing that drives Hot Stuff insane.

We "upgrade" (read: patch together with various cast off parts) our computers.


Let's work on:

I could handle a bigger garden.... with a little extra time and deer netting.

I'd love solar panels but I don't know when or how that will happen.

Chemicals in products like makeup and lotions. I'm more aware now but still not particularly active about it.

Food Shares. I would LOVE to do this but there isn't one around here. Unless one starts.... I would love to get a giant basket of veggies every week during the summer. I'd even take zuchini. Until that happens we will just take cast off's from my grandpa & uncle whenever we can get them.

TV. Lordy, we watch too much tv. And the consum-monster always rages after the commercials during Saturday morning cartoons. (What? Your kids have access to cartoons some other time than Saturday mornings??)

Things I just don't know if I can give up:

Bleach. I adore bleach.

Driving. Let's face it. We live out of town and are driving two vehicles (big, burly 4-wheel drive vehicles sometimes) to town 5 days a week. Yes, I'm driving the smallest 4-wheel-drive I could find (that will hold 2 car seats) and Hot Stuff drives a "commuter" car instead of his garhugic pickup most days.... but we are still murdering several dinosaurs every month.

Disposable diapers.

Target End Caps. I love bargain shopping. I've eliminated most all of it for budget reasons but sometimes I just have an emotional NEED for clearance m&m's.

Um... I'm sure there are other things. I know I'm not nearly as virtuous as I sound in this post.

2 comments:

MeesheMama said...

Wow. I'm really impressed. I wish my "good" list could be even 1/3 as big as yours. (And I wish I had a lean-to, and endless space. I've got 1400 SqFt on 3 long skinny floors and .04 acres. And HotStuff thinks he has it tough with recycling and compost!)

Kudos! I'm glad my link was a reason to make you proud of your own accomplishments. It's encouraging.

Anonymous said...

Yay! I use vinegar to clean too. It's my new favorite.
I just started using cloth diapers at night. That's an interesting job.
I also compost, and we're working on the recycling (My HotStuff needs some convincing to give up a corner of his shop). It would help if one of our dogs didn't thing recycling and/or compost is just another collection of chew toys.