Thursday, January 31, 2008

Activities

I want high speed internet. Ya'll have NO IDEA how jealous I am... or is it envious?

And I am dreading entering that "activities" phase of childhood. So far I can get away with $3.00 worth of rides on the carousel and a promise to eat ice cream as soon as we get home. I figure I have another year.

Ok.... this is kind of petty but do any of you feel compelled to "keep up with the Jones's" when it comes to activities? Let me throw out two scenarios.

Scenario 1: Preschool. My son will be 4 on June 1st. He is not in preschool. He is not going to be in preschool. He is going to be one of those disadvantaged Kindergarteners. How bad should I feel about this? And is it ok, when someone asks if he is in preschool, to look at them cooly and respond, "We are home-schooling him for preschool. We just don't feel preschools have high enough standards for him. He's advanced, you know.... but I'm sure they are fine for your kids." Is that bitchy? Because my alternative is to just look at them and blink slowly.

Scenario 2: The friends or family with kids in multiple activities every season. How many activities are too many? My kids are still little enough that a trip to the library with a cookie break at the bakery is reason to celebrate. We are simple. Or maybe it should read: We are Simple. We spent $30 for 6 swim lessons this summer..... my sis-in-law's two kids each have a private swim lesson every week year-round. We can afford (in time and money) maybe one activity per kid per season. ONE. And keep your summers open, kiddies, because you are going to the farm to work... if you are lucky they will pay you with a truck load of wheat. Am I talking out my ass? Will I live to eat these words in a few years? And will they taste like chicken? (If so... I might as well toss in Hot Stuff's words of wisdom.... There will be no video games in this house. Mmm... maybe them there words WILL taste like chicken.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I went to the carousel for the first time in November. I'd never been there, but I tell everyone about it now. My friend's daughter kept having me ride with her and tell her stories about the animals on the ride. I love those otters!
I think more activities = bad. More time on the farm = good. But that's coming from a fellow Montana Redneck Country Dweller who would rather spend the time and money on things that 'matter,' not 10 billion activities that overschedule kids and make parents crazy.
But that's just me.

Elle said...

Are you typing to ME? Are you talking about MY kids? I have a preschooler -- and I have kids in activities . . . I find it unavoidable to allow them to participate in activities -- they are straight A students that crave extra stimulation . . . We don't have a farm here, so violin lessons seems like a good plan --