Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Reading.

Just started Diana Gabaldon's next book in the series The Fiery Cross. I'm having a hard time getting into it.... this is the 5th book and I've read exerpts from it but I can't remember what happened in the last two books...

Next up is probably Flags of Our Fathers. Hot Stuff read it and loaned it to my dad, who loaned it to my mom, who loaned it to my sister.... so if it ever comes back I'll check it out.

Just finished re-reading the Narnia books.... I got the complete set in one edition for Christmas.

Is Sweet Boy ready for nightly installments of Charlotte's Web? Anyone? Hot Stuff read him Gentle Ben and he did ok.... maybe I should start with something a little lighter.... but now that the tv season is slipping into reruns we'd like to do a chapter-a-night in the living room a few nights a week.

The kid really digs books. We read three at bedtime.... his choice. And, yes, I have been known to hide the really long ones (or that damn Dr. Seuss tongue-twister one, Oh Say Can You Say) in the book shelf where he might not find them.... We bought a few lots of Dr. Sueuss and Little Critter on ebay to jump-start his library and it has grown quite a bit but we are always on the look-out for good new books.... any suggestions?

Oh, what, and you'd like MY suggestions for reading? Why, my most recent favorite is Old Turtle because I love the pictures.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't know if SweetBoy would be up for CW. Some days the BoyChild will sit through a chapter and other nights, he's just not having it. I think it really is designed for a little older child.

One set of books that the BoyChild loves are by René Goscinny and Jean-Jacques Sempé translated into English from French. The are stories written from the prespective of 2nd grader, Nicholas, and are about him, his family and friends. The chapters aren't too long for the BoyChild to sit through, the stories are funny enough in a basic sort of way that the BoyChild gets the humor and there are illustrations in the book to keep it interesting. I think the three we have and read over and over again are: Nicholas, Nicholas Again and Nicholas on Vacation.