Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Dum-da-dum-dum

Dum-da-dum-dum.... that's the sound of drumming.... ear-drumming. Ear-drumming my daughter can't hear very well right now.

The audiologist tests showed her ear drum has healed perfectly (yeah, no more hot pink choking hazards to stuff in her ears for bath time). But..... her tympanic test (?) showed a flat line in her left ear and a little flutter in her right ear. Not the hearty vibrations needed for good hearing. So she's still got fluid in behind her ear drums and requires more powerful antibiotics for 10 more days.

So, after yet another charming time at CVS-West, (damn, the guy I had to deal with really had his tit in a ringer about something... fortunately I only had one kid with me and I wasn't tired so I didn't have to shove him in a 55-gallon drum, plant him in the back 40 & grow tomatoes on him) I came home with some pricey new antibiotics.... not the bubble gum kind this time. I can't tell if they bother her belly or if she just thinks sleeping with mama is a good habit to develop right now.... be patient with me.... she's still getting me trained.

Now, we are planning to play along for this second round of antibiotics but if things don't get better soon I might go homeopathic and take her to see my witch doctor.

I'm discovering I'm not a very good parent of a sick child. I'd be a mess with a chronically ill child. I get all tired & forgetful with stress. Interesting. I'm great with my own illnesses...brave face, strong front, plan a dynamic course of action.... all that. But it is an entirely different thing when you are worrying about someone else. Especially when that someone is a 17 pound bundle of pink cheeks & grins who seems to think she invented skip-hop crawling and delights in smooshing gummy cracker bits in her hair & eyebrows. A cheery little person who actually grinned at the doctor while he shoved things in her ears and offered him the dixie cup she was chewing on.... she gave him a look like, "Hey, this sucks, but they have great toys here...."

So we will be BACK at the doc's office next week to see what's up....

No comments: