Monday, February 05, 2007

But this shit only comes in 3’s right???

My garage door opener died. Now, this has happened before (different garage) so it isn’t like I don’t know the signs…. Last time the signs were a burning smell, smoke and no uppy-uppy when I pushy-pushy the button. This time at least I had motor sounds but no uppy-uppy. So Hot Stuff and I got up there on the double-sided ladder (it was way kinkier than it sounds and we’re planning to utilize it in some manner for Valentine’s Day). All those little plastic gears that make the door go uppy-uppy?? Yeah, they were plastic dust. Of course, nothing being easy…. Our “garage” is actually a “shop” and the door opener is mounted (hee-hee, I said mounted) in the most confucked manner possible. And this confucked (that would be a hybrid of confused and fucked for the slow-on-the-uptake that read this site) configuration won’t work with the new style of garage door openers out there now. Heavy sigh.

Then the washing machine quit with the spinny-spinny. Water goes in, water goes out, but there is no agitation or spinny-spinny to get things clean. That will be coming apart in the next few days… meanwhile I run the occasional load of laundry at my in-law’s and remind Hot Stuff to think of the enjoyment he gets from his new-used chain saw while he’s pounding his socks on rocks in the creek because that’s about what it would cost to get a new machine. (Good thing the man rarely wears underwear, isn’t it brother??)

So then… to top it all off… the tv remote quit. (Again, brother, something you wouldn’t understand what with that vintage non-remote tv you own.) It works on the vcr & the dvd but not the tv. And you know I need volume control so I can mute the commercials while I’m watching Judge Joe Brown and drinking tequila in the early afternoon. I went out to the garage to look in the black file box… the box where I, in all my Virgo glory, keep all the owner’s manuals and information for every product we now or ever have owned. And I find the directions to the THREE remotes we have for the ONE tv upstairs and I find the single sheet of info for the GE remote that lists what devices it will control and it tells me how easy it is to program but IT DOESN’T TELL ME HOW TO PROGRAM IT. And I weep.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

On the Contrary, I know EXACTLY how it feels - my remote controls the VCR and DVD player, but not the TV.

enough with the underwear thing already - I just had lunch......

Anonymous said...

This happened to us last year. I forget the specifics now (although I recall that one thing was the A/C - that torture I won't soon forget), but it seemed everything decided to break within the time frame of a week. ARGH.