Thursday, February 22, 2007

So… about that ear….. things I have learned…..

***UPDATED TO ADD***
I didn't slap the baby. Really. She got an ear infection after getting a cold and that is the reason for the ruptured ear drum. But while researching it on the 'net I found out a slap can cause it too.... and this, for some reason, turned me into earnest-mommy at the doctor's office.... I think in the back of my mind I was afraid the doc was speed-dialing human services when she left the exam room..... and it made me all stuttery and nervous and talking fast about the COLD she had last week and the PUS coming out of her ear from the INFECTION.
***END OF UPDATE***

I learned one of the main causes of ruptured ear drums is a flat or cupped-hand slap to the side of the head.

I learned pus is spelled with one s.

I learned pus leaking out of your ear 6 days after you’ve seen the doc for a cold is a bad sign. (And can I just shout about how TOTALLY vindicated I feel about that doc trip last Friday even though the doc I saw made me feel like a total idiot for bringing them in for a simple cold…. Yes, I took them in because of the puking but at least now human services can’t get me for neglect, right? Possibly a slap to the head, but not neglect….)

I learned ENT stands for Ear, Nose & Throat.

I learned pink antibiotics must be refrigerated. Thank Bob it was my daughter…. I can dress her in little pink outfits to disguise the pink slobber on her clothes.

I learned CVS-West sucks as a pharmacy (but it still has the best wine selection in town). And, yes, dear little girl at the counter, I DO want to wait for the prescription… does my staring make you nervous? Or is it the twitch??

I learned the ear pain should be gone once the ear drum perforates…. And yet the little one STILL thinks she should sleep in my bed and use my nose as a comfort object.

I learned I love my doctor’s office. And I really, really, pink-smiley-face love my doctor’s nurses.

I learned babies with exploded ear drums can’t get water in their ears.

I learned I don’t actually need to bathe my child all that often.

I learned wax ear plugs are by the contact solution at ShopKo.

I learned wax ear plugs come in hot pink.

I learned babies will try to eat hot pink wax ear plugs if possible.

Ok, I’m tired, enough learning…. Wish us luck at the ENT tomorrow… we should get a clean bill of health and no problems…..

1 comment:

MeesheMama said...

OK, but who did the slapping? She didn't manage to rupture her own eardrum, did she?

Glad things are OK now.