Sunday, September 11, 2011

Peanut Butter Chicken

In my quest to try new things and get organized I've been doing a bit of crock pot cooking.  My cooker runs hot so I don't ever leave it for the day while I am at work.  (Also.... my countertops were poorly installed and the heat of the cooker makes them separate which pinches tender baby thighs... but that's another story..... but it explains why sometime the cooker is plugged in to the ONLY OUTDOOR PLUGIN I have.... on the west porch.)

So I tried this recipe.  I love this site.  Even if sometimes it looks like she whipped up a dismembered head in the crockpot.... sorry but sometimes crockpot cooking looks icky.... can you forgive me for that???

I loved the peanut butter chicken.  Creamy without cream-of-something soup.  Pretty healthy and very satisfying.  Comforting.  Maybe a little salty but that could be fixed. We had it over rice.

My family..... no thank you.  Not one of them liked it.  Sigh.

But I'm keeping the recipe for now.

Peanut Butter Chicken

1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken, cut in chunks *
1/2 cup natural peanut butter (creamy or chunky, your choice)
1 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced
1 large onion, coarsely chopped
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 lime, juiced
1/4 cup soy sauce (use gluten free--La Choy or Tamari wheat-free)
1/2 cup chicken broth

* If you are going to use quarters, or meat with bones, be aware that the meat will probably fall off the bone, and you'll need to fish out the bone pieces before serving. I've used this sauce with a whole chicken (I doubled the sauce ingredients for a 4.5-pound bird) and it was fantastic, but the bones were a bit of an issue.

The Directions.

Use a 4-quart slow cooker. Put the chicken into the bottom of your pot and add the peanut butter. Toss in the vegetables and cumin. Squeeze in lime, and add soy sauce and chicken broth. Stir as well as you can to combine (the peanut butter will be clumpy, and that's just fine). Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours, or on high for about 4 hours. Serve over rice or quinoa.

1 comment:

Elle said...

I tried a peanut chicken . . it had PB and I did it over rice too. We all sat at the table smacking the top of our mouths like puppies with peanut butter stuck to our palates. Not good. I had grandiose notions that I would use the "epic fail" peanut butter (the off brands I'm sometimes tempted to buy) . . use them up hidden in recipes. Not so much.