Tuesday, September 13, 2011

I like enchiladas. I like cheese. What went wrong?

Hot off my not-so-fabulous success with the Peanut Butter Chicken I went back to Stephanie O'Dea (yes, I have the cookbook) and crockpot365.blogspot.com and tried

Cheese Enchilada Stack

Epic Fail.

It was mushy and not very appetizing.  Although Hot said it was tasty when he put it on a flour tortilla with some rice and beans. 

I really wanted this recipe to work for me but it will not be maintaining a place in the family favorites cookbook.  Good thing there about a gazillion other recipes on her site for me to try......

Slow Cooker Cheese Enchilada Stack Recipe

1 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 (14.5-ounce) can crushed tomatoes (the whole can)
1 tablespoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon dried minced onion (or 1 small onion, finely diced)
8 corn tortillas (check labels for hidden gluten)
4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 (4-ounce) can sliced olives, drained
6 tablespoons sour cream

The Directions

If you want to add meat, you should use already cooked pork, beef or chicken (great use for shredded chicken!).
This is NOT because the meat won't cook---it definitely will, but while it cooks, it will give off so much liquid that your enchilada stack will be soggy and gross.

And nobody wants that.

Anyhow. Use a 4-quart slow cooker. In a large mixing bowl, make enchilada sauce by combining:
broth
tomatoes
spices
onion
Stir well and set aside. Put a layer of tortillas into the bottom of your slow cooker (you may need to tear a few). Add a handful of cheese, and some sliced olives. Scoop a large spoonful of sauce on top. Repeat layers until you've run out of ingredients.

Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours, or until cheese has melted, is brown and bubbly, and the top layer has begun to pull away from the sides. Let it sit unplugged for about 15 minutes before serving with a dollop of sour cream.

3 comments:

Elle said...

Funny. I tried this too. Or something similar. One of my children, who shall remain un-named said this as I put the plate of gloppy, nasty-looking enchilada lump in front of them. (Something not even a triple-size portion of sour cream could hide!) . . "Mom, who ate this first??"

M&Co. said...

I think almost anything where you stack tortillas causes it to turn into a gloopy mess. I'd think the crockpot would make it worse.

I'm eating Weight Watchers these days and tried this recipe: http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/02/chicken-enchiladas.html recently. It was easy and super yummy.

Homestead said...

It did, truly, look like vomit.... how sad.

The honest truth is.... I have a pile of corn tortillas in the freezer and no good recipes.... so I might try the ww recipe.

The problem is Hot doesn't "like" enchilada sauce.... what is WRONG with him????