Tuesday, June 27, 2006

This week

The last weekend in June is, traditionally, the Augusta Rodeo. This rodeo used to be a true hell raiser. I'm talkin' a guy driving a dozer through town every morning to clear the beer cans out of the street..... seriously. Bodies everywhere. People making a fortune on recycling cans.

I use the last weekend in June to, as Jimmy Buffet would say, "I took off for a weekend last month just to try and recall the whole year."

6 years ago this week: A friend of mine keeps bugging me to meet this friend of her boyfriend. I finally caved and met him in August. August 12th actually.

4 years ago this week: I was a newlywed and we were trying to make a baby. I always get confused about this because the date on our groom's cake was the wrong year..... yup, it said "June 1, 2001" and it wasn't....

3 years ago this week: We had survived a year of Hot Stuff teaching in a town about 45 minutes (plus hell construction) away. Every vehicle we owned had a broken windshield and he was completely burnt out on teaching. After a little over a year of trying & several "probable but unconfirmed" miscarriages I was finally truly pregnant and we had just announced the news to our families. Little did I know..... next week I would miscarry and require copious quantities of tequila and maxi pads to make it through the weeks ahead.

2 years ago this week: I had a new baby and we took him to his first rodeo.

Last year this week: We were trying for baby #2. My best friend was visiting with her three little ones and we were having a blast going to the "lake" and the carousel and making lovely meals every evening (Lala, I miss your enchiladas). Hell, Target becomes a 5 star destination when you have two mamas of similar spirit and adventure running the show. We painted my bathroom & my dryer. (I need you to come back..... Sweet Boy's room needs painting and you KNOW I can't pick a color without you.) It really made me understand how a polygamist relationship could actually be a good thing..... well....

This year this week: I have a sweet little boy who doesn't yet know a 2-year-old is supposed to be naughty and another one due any day. I spend my time contemplating the same things other mamas think about..... "When did Dyson vs Oreck become important?" and "How do I maintain hip-mama status with a minivan & a sun visor?" and "How do I figure out what kind of new, sexy music to listen too that is for grown ups?" and "How do I fit-in with the other mamas without becoming one of those moms?" and "Which super hero would I be?"

1 comment:

PSUMommy said...

Wow...I can't remember what the heck I did 4 hours ago, much less 6 years ago! May I assume that the friend's boyfriend's friend is your now-husband? Which is so darn sweet!