Monday, June 26, 2006

So my brother has a girlfriend and I think she’s a Selkie…..

…. And other news from the weekend.

Mellow weekend. Saturday: Washed the infant carseat liner. Weeded the flowerbeds. Went to the Farmer’s Market. Walked around downtown with Sweet Boy. Still need to pack a hospital bag. Hooked up the portable air conditioner. Barbequed steaks & made amazing salads for dinner.

We went to the Augusta Rodeo yesterday and met my brother’s new girlfriend. I have a theory. You know that old folklore about Selkie women? They are seals but can shed their skin and take on lithe female form. If you steal their skins they have to stay in human form and marry you. Well, brother, hide that skin well…. I think she’s a keeper. Truly, it’s the only way I can figure a guy like my little bro could get a girl like her. She’s cute (stunning eyes) and funny. Smart. Motivated. She has opinions and plans. She seems to like my brother. She likes farming and knows a lot about it. She didn’t seem too fazed by meeting the whole nerd-herd in one big swoop. Sweet Boy likes her… he gave her a sticky little boy (alternate layers of sunscreen & dirt) hug when we left.

I tried to be nice & inviting. I managed to hide my awe as to the fact that she was with my brother. Hot Stuff made me promise not to smother her with questions and to give the two of them space. I tried. I hope I didn’t appear standoffish. I resisted the urge to document her photographically just to prove my brother is capable of dating.

Dating when you are (almost) 30 is different. He seems more relaxed and confident about himself. They seem comfortable together. Granted, there weren’t a whole lot of pda’s… but hell, it was about 95 degrees…. True affection was shown by sharing Nalgene bottles of fluids, not bodily fluids.

Now we just have to wait and see if the whole “family experience” was too much and she runs for the hills…..

1 comment:

schmims said...

I was wondering why he hadn't shown up on my doorstep yet!