Friday, June 02, 2006

Rambling, ambling......

Well, after all that I though you could use something a bit uplifting.....

My options are to be shallow and brag about my day yesterday or be funny and tell you about my day Wednesday..... I'll start with yesterday.

June 1 is a Big Day for our family. My mom's birthday, our anniversary, my son's birthday. So we try to spread the celebration out over the course of at least a week..... Hot Stuff took the day off to "recover" from eye surgery (read: mow the lawn, find the perfect anniversary gift, play with Sweet Boy).

Around 10:00 the boys show up at my office with roses. Our receptionist had MADE A CAKE for Sweet Boy. So we had lemon cake & he got a present. Good start to the day. Then he got to go to the transfer station (aka. the dump) and that is his favorite place in the whole world. Grandma took him to story hour (why do they call it story hour when it is 20 minutes??) and I met them there. Then he got to go to Auntie's house and "help" her. (For some reason he has a fascination with cleaning her toilet.... I'm still trying to figure that one out.) He spent the evening eating pizza and being spoiled rotten by Grandma & Auntie while Hot Stuff & I went out for a romantic dinner. (AND my in-laws got us a gift certificate to the restaurant so we did it up right.) I wore my cute black skirt and we ate and talked and laughed. I only missed having a glass of wine with dinner a little bit. I made up for it by ordering a lovely dessert. For the first time EVER in his life Hot Stuff had to get a doggie bag. (Have I mentioned how skinny my husband is lately? I actually matched him on the scale last week and I'm sure I've passed him by this week.)

We got home from dinner in time to tuck our freshly bathed & jammied little boy into bed. Then we gave my mom her birthday present. Expensive but wonderful CK panties. Then we got into a big panty discussion and Hot Stuff had to go outside to move the sprinklers.... What? A discussion about undies with your mother-in-law is a problem?

In theory our "anniversary gift" is the refrigerator we were going to get for Valentine's Day. (It will be delivered on Monday.) But we decided a few little things would be ok. I got Hot Stuff the new Ivan Doig book (his favorite author) and a very cool fly-fishing book. And a few small practical items like rechargable batteries for his camera. My gift? Oh, I've been wanting adirondack (sp?) chairs for about 4 years now and we've never been able to find any. On our way into town on Wednesday we drove by this new place called (I'm not kidding) Gazebo Depot..... rotten location out in the middle of a field on North Montana and they will probably never last but..... THEY HAD CHAIRS. So, big score by Hot Stuff.... although he went way over the allowed $50 spending limit. He also got me a pack of AAA batteries (get your mind out of the gutter) and a flowered-handled screw driver. The batteries? Well, the night before he'd tried to change the batteries in Sweet Boy's electric toothbrush and realized EVERY SINGLE battery in a 15-pack of Rayovac's was dead..... expiration date: 2011. And he knows I forget to turn the ipod radio-transmitter-thing-a-ma-jig off in my car all the time and it eats the batteries. The screwdriver? Well, I have a red-handled 4-way screwdriver that is the "house" screwdriver and we were doing some "home repairs" on Saturday and SOMEHOW the screwdriver disappeared. (Most likely.... it is in the bottom of the toybox courtesy of one small mechanic or it got knocked in the garbage can and is gone, gone, gone.) But the cabinet thingy we put up looks very Pottery-Barn and I like it a lot.

We ended the day watching part of "The Producers" and laughing like lunatics. It really was quite lovely and perfect.

No comments: