Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Yellow American.....

..... Cheese.

Yellow American Cheese is the bane of my existence.

There.

I said it.

My kids had never really had it until hunting season this year.

Sweet came home from deer hunting with his daddy... (What? You don't send your 4-year-old out with a heavy pack to hike for miles on end in search of food?)

"Mama, we had the coolest thing today. (This I expect.... excursions to the woods have introduced Sweet to all sorts of things... peeing on a tree, the smell of elk, the joy of a Snickers bar, the fun of a camp fire, how to make an air hanky, the fascination of MRE's and the exhaustion of a good hike.) Yellow Cheese. (Big deal, I think to myself....) It was called...... American. And it came in little wrapped squares."

He is, at this point, dancing around.... so excited he can't contain himself.

"And, mama, I brought some home to share with Tuff!"

Great.

So, from that point on, my kids were American cheese eaters. I gave in and started buying it in the giant five pound blocks at Costco. Do you know that stuff doesn't ever mold? Seriously. Scary. I will admit I believe there is a place in this world for sliced squares of yellowy-orange processed goodness.... camping, road trips, picnics.... just not in everyday life.

So mark this in the box of "things I said my kids would never...." and get on with it.

2 comments:

SarahP said...

If there's one thing my child has done in her short, not-wuite-2-year-old-life, it's make a TOTAL liar out of me.
I'd never use formula, never a binky, never give her junk food, always give her balanced meals, never give her processed cheese, never let her...feed her...blah blah blah. Turns out, life is much easier when you give in sometimes and get off your own high horse. Imagine that!
Yay for yellow squares of cheese-type product. Makes killer grilled cheese-type sandwiches.

kae said...

The giant block of yellow cheese (we call it flat cheese, don't know why) at Costco is much more like real cheese than the individually wrapped stuff in my opinion...if that makes you feel better.