Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Power in a Pink World

I picked the kids up last night and we were all kinda grumpy.

I had a rough day at work and I was tired of being a single parent (oh, poor me, two days....) and I was missing Hot and wondering what he was doing. (I have this secret theory about what they DO when they are on a fire....) And I really wanted a glass of wine.

Sweet was tired and whining about wanting a Transformer.

Tuff... well, Tuff just said, "Mama, I cwabby." We left it at that. I like to think I support my kids through any emotions and they don't have to pretend like things are all rainbows and unicorn poop to make me happy.

So I said, "Well guys, Daddy is going to be late tonight so lets go do something before we head home.... suggestions?" Sweet wanted to go to Target and get.... a Transformer. Tuff wanted to go to Costco. Tuff ALWAYS wants to go to Costco. I wanted to go to Joanne's to get chocolate melts to make faker Cadbury Eggs.

Mama says, "Tuff, are you the kind of crabby that should just be left alone and you'll tell me when things are in balance or is it the kind of crabby that means you want to do something?"

Tuff thinks about this. She savors the power. The option to DO SOMETHING is so huge in her little two-year-old petal pink world.... she drinks it in and revels a moment and then pauses dramatically and says, "Mama, I think some frozen yogurt would be good."

So, after much 'splainin' about how we don't "buy toys just to buy toys" we ended up at ShopKo looking at toys... and life jackets.... and ballet shoes..... and spiderman beach towels. Then to Costco to get a few items and, if kids be good, some frozen yogurt. Swirl. Because sometimes ya just gotta eat dessert first.

And so ends another salvaged day at our house.

No comments: