Monday, April 13, 2009

The Perfect Sunday

It was the perfect Sunday. It was, really, just about a perfect weekend.

Let's go back a few days....

Monday was my I'm-on-top-of-it-Super-Mom day.... all because I cooked some chicken and was caught up on laundry.

Tuesday was my Poor-me-single-parenthood-sucks day.... we managed to get a few errands done and Hot had 3 fires in two days. The kids and I also each picked a fruit at Costco... Sweet picked strawberries, Tuff picked bananas and I picked pineapple. We can now eat chunks of fruit with an appetizer pick (the greatest toddler food-eating innovation of the current century) for every meal.

Wednesday I had "centering" for baby school..... more about that later.... and a chiro appt at 5. I do adore my chiropractor.

Thursday was a mad dash to get kids and get to an Easter egg hunt. Fun was had by all and pizza was had for dinner. Mmmm. Pizza.

I can't really remember Friday but it was a good day. Another fire. For those of you counting that makes FOUR fires last week. We watched Dinosaurs for movie night and then stayed up late watching the season finale of Friday Night Lights. I cleaned house during the commercials.

Saturday is usually reserved for cartoon viewing but Sweet said, "They are all reruns anyway..." so we had a playdate with Princess & Flower. After a quick lunch and naps/rest, the cousins came down and eggs were decorated. Then off to Nana & Papa's for pork roast and fingerling potatoes for dinner. Purple potatoes. We ate purple potatoes.... and they were good. And I love the dressing my mother-in-law makes for salad. I don't think it is complicated... it just tastes so good.

The tulips are up. Must make a note to spray them before the deer get them. Tonight.

Sunday we headed to Nana & Papa's for brunch. I had coffee and hot milk. Somehow that makes me feel sort of.... cosmopolitan or something.... Italian? Maybe it's all the Dave Robicheaux novels I've been reading.... He always has hot milk and coffee.... I'm just doing it to reduce my caffeine intake but I'm kinda starting to like it. And I did have some trauma in the morning... Tuff didn't want to wear her dress and I couldn't find my pants. The pants I wore on Thursday. I still can't find them.

Nana made a new egg casserole recipe. It was very rich and very yummy. I vote we have it again. Although I do love the old egg casserole recipe as well. Nana got the short end of the stick... she did all the cooking this year. The kids got some good Easter presents and I got a box of candy from the BEST chocolate place downtown and a gorgeous salmon begonia. Then off to our house to hunt eggs in the field north of the house. And to be thankful we didn't have to do this. Then a few laps with the 4-wheeler to make sure they got all the eggs. Then to play baseball, t-ball, soccer, kickball, horseshoes in the field south of the house. And the kids dug out all the yard toys and had a great time. The adults played some softball and a little horseshoes, sat in lawn chairs visiting and a few even napped. The only thing missing was Bloody Marys.

I won't lie... I spent a good bit of the time obsessing over what would make the afternoon a little better.... a good picnic blanket, an automatic ice machine, more lawn chairs, sliced lemons, having the hammock set up, a swing set, better organization of the kid toys, a quicker offer of sunscreen, better drink selection (I'm a water person.... we have that, Crystal Lite Pink Lemonade and Diet Caffeine Free Pepsi....), a completely dog poop free yard, two bathrooms, Bloody Marys, snacks (besides chocolate), moving the pile of old fence rails with giant rusty spikes sticking out that the kids wanted to climb on.

Everyone left by 3:00 or so and we still had time to tidy up and get a few things done before bedtime! I had some sheets to wash. Tuff had a little accident in our bed.... on me. She never does that. Seriously. Like.... 3 times since she quit wearing pull ups.

Ok, I admit, I napped. And I made Sweet's NEW FAVORITE dinner. Red beans and Rice. (A modification of the Zatarain's mix (which I think is too salty... even the low-sodium mix we got at Costco).... add two extra cans of beans and some turkey brats and serve over brown rice.... I'm still convincing myself I like brown rice.... Remember the days when I existed on white rice all the time?) Again... a very Dave Robicheaux meal.... very New Orleans, right? And we ate in the living room because Extreme Makeover Home Edition was on and that's our new favorite show. (Shut Up... I know it has been on for years... we just discovered it.) Last night made Hot cry. Seriously. Tearing up over tv. That's my sensitive man. But then he recovers, looks around our house and says, "Hey hon, I bet if we cut your leg off they'd come redo our house...." That's romance folks.

We started watching Pride & Glory but I faded out and had to go to bed. And that, dear friends, is another week at the homestead.

No comments: