Wednesday, April 08, 2009

The Season Has Begun....

I've been on a cooking jag lately.... It is like I've run out of things to nest about so I'll cook instead....

Sunday the kids & I made bread, pigs in blankets, and brownies. We also made a meal outline for the week's dinners.

Su: pigs in blankets, green beans, apples
M: bowtie pasta, alfredo, sliced chicken breasts, salad (with lots and lots of ranch), corn-n-beans, bread.
Tu: sandwiches or chicken nuggets, corn and cottage cheese
W: Eggs (I'm having deviled eggs and salad... the kids may have scrambled eggs or fried egg sandwiches.... Hot will probably have an omlet.)
Th: Hamburger something or other.
F: Tomato soup and grilled cheese, apples
Sa: hobo dinners maybe

I'm trying to get into the concept of deconstructing dinner. So, for example, I added red bell peppers to the alfredo for Tuff and I. And I added cherry tomatoes to mine. Tuff likes slivered almonds on her salad. And she and I eat salad mix.... Hot & Sweet eat iceberg. So I'm trying to adapt basic meal plans instead of making a completely separate meal for kids and adults.

And by *I* I mean.... I plan and Hot executes. I did make dinner on Sunday and Monday but usually he makes dinner.... It is true.... he's more than just a cute butt in fire pants....

So I was so pleased that I got dinner together on Monday night. I know... it was nothing fantastic... but still. Hot had a fire in the afternoon so I had to get the kids from daycare.... He got home soon after and we sat down to a lovely meal at the table (remember to add that to my list of my very favorite things in the world... dinner with my family at the table) and the phone rang. Another fire.

So off he goes. And the season has begun.....

1 comment:

SarahP said...

You have enough dry for fire? Man, we're still brown and wet and muddy here. And we haven't seen the sun in like 4 days. The only fire we've had is when a whole block of Main Street burned a few weeks ago.
We're almost done calving, so my hubbs has been out entire days in the calving pasture, and the little girl asks, 48 milllion times per day, "Where Dada?" Now I tell her that she knows where Dada is, and she says, "Moo babies." I can only imagine when he's gone for a 2 week detail. It wil be 14 solid days of "Where Dada? Where Dada? Where Dada?"