Friday, September 23, 2005

And suddenly I realized, this, this is my Life.

This is in response to all those women who think they can "have it all" and not change the way they function after having kids. I used to travel a lot for work. Not so much now... but some. The last trip I took was in December 2004.

Ok. Picture me (please picture me sleek & attractive & fun). I'm in the end stall of the bathroom in an airport in a major city.... an adaptor is snaking out of the stall and plugged into the ONLY wall outlet in the bathroom. A black bag containing a strange machine is hanging off the edge of the bathroom stall (why does THIS bathroom not have that handy hook on the back of the door?) and emitting an odd chugging sound. I'm STANDING in the stall (doing yoga poses & deep breathing to pass the time) praying no one is going to alert security about the bomb-machine in the concourse D bathroom. Yes, my serene & speedy pumping session was frequently interupted by the "gahwhoosh" of the fraggin' auto-toilets.

File this one under "the things we do for love."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah but think about the memories. The airport toilet, in Detroit, what a great place to spend your time.

Susan said...

Oooh, the Milking Machine. I pumped exclusively for Henry (who couldn't latch on after a week in the NICU) until he was nearly five months old (when Mother Nature shut down the pumping station).

The funny part? It was just what I did all day. As you say, it was My Life.

But I'm glad it's not part of my life now . . .

Homestead said...

mrtl- Flying with Sweet Boy in May I discovered a room at the Salt Lake airport. ONE ROOM. In the whole airport. It is on Concourse D and it has a changing table, a chair, a plug-in & a lock on the door. Heaven.

M&co.- Ah, yes, the memories. I do have to laugh every time I see an auto-flush toilet.

Susan- I almost died pumping exclusively for 36 hours.... How did you do it for 5 months? I am very lucky to have a very supportive (and all female) office.... Or I wouldn't have made it.