Wednesday, August 08, 2007

We're having fun this summer, dammit.

So far this week, in pursuit of SUMMER FUN, we've been to the fancy new park and the grocery store.... what? The grocery store is one of Sweet Boy's favorite places. In the list of his favorite places to run errands (each assigned a finger) the grocery store is the thumb. Costco is his pointer finger and Target is his middle finger.... I like to say, "Ok, we are JUST going to Target" just to see that innocent little bird fly.

But, as I've long said was important, we will have fun, dammit.

So Monday night the car took over, drove around crazily, and ended up at the fancy park. I was a little nervous after Friday night's cut-short picnic trip.... but a good time was had by all. Last time we went to this park an odd little boy sort of attached himself to us and was kind of tormenting my two little ones.... jumping in front of them and generally being a pest. I wanted to be nice to him because he looked like he could use a buddy but, really, I just wanted to say, "Beat it, kid." How do seasoned mothers handle these things? I respond by making my husband work long weekends with a saw mill to mill boards to build our own swing set so my kids (and, more importantly, ME) don't have to be around other people. But hey, no one ever accused me of having social skills.

Tonight we are going to a local pond.... meeting Nana & Papa and having chicken & cheese sandwiches. Should be low key and we will all end up with sand in our shorts and smoke in our lungs.

In an effort to simplify my life (and redeem my position as "Best Fire Wife Ever") I've decided to start mapping out meals ahead of time again. Seriously, my kids never get sick because of all the antibiotics in chicken nuggets. So, for your dining pleasure may I present..... Week One.

Tuesday: Spaghetti. Pesto from the herb garden for me, crazy noodles for the kids with red wine vinegar, garlic salt & butter and jar alfredo sauce for Hot Stuff if he comes home.

Wednesday: Cheese sandwiches and spinnin' chicken. Leftover French bread from last night, cheese, grapes, baby carrots, fruit snacks... you get the idea.

Thursday: Hot dog wraps. Ideally I will make these Wednesday night and we will eat them cold at the pool on Thursday... or, cold on the porch... whatever.

Friday: Hobo dinners on the grill. If I can get over my fear of lighting the county on fire with the bbq. Hot Stuff says bbq in the shop... yeah, with the two cans of diesel for the tractor, 2-stroke fuel for the chainsaw, several gas cans for the lawn mower & that funny little mix that goes in the weed eater.... a giant flameball will start a forest fire just as easily as a stray spark from my cooking.

Saturday: Steamed buns. I've never made these but I'm going to try them.

Sunday: Stroganoff. What a great summer meal?!? But I have a bunch of stew meat in the freezer and this was all I could come up with....

Monday: Some form of sandwiches again.... at a park somewhere.

No comments: