So younghouselove has a post up about closet doors. Yeah... I got a tough one for you. The closet at the top of the stairs.
Do you think I could just invite them over to fix this for me? It is SO ugly and, well, wood-toned. Granted... the entire upstairs is frighteningly wood-toned... but we are working up the courage to paint it all white ala this beautiful inspiration at The Lettered Cottage. But back to the task at hand.
1. Removing the horrible peach carpet. Check. It is slated for removal after the downstairs bedroom floor is finished. Hardwood exists underneath. But that would just be.... more wood.
2. Removing the doors completely. It would be lovely opened up as a little reading cubby for the kids... stash books in the back and put the bean bag chairs in there. BUT.... this is a pretty important closet for storage. I'm working towards making it empty but I'm not there yet. It houses the vacuum, the little carpet cleaner, some photo albums, my long dresses (our bedroom closets are short and stuffed under the eves) gift-wrap supplies, the boot dryer, various sheet sets, all the table linens, my ski boots, yoga gear and the "days of search and rescue" first aid kit and pack. It wouldn't be impossible to empty... but a challenge. Love a challenge.
3. Paint the doors. White maybe? Paint the trim. Paint something.
4. Hang a curtain over it. If ever in doubt... hang a white curtain. But this is a narrow space... just a doorway wide at the top of a staircase. Not sure.
5. Change door styles. Can't do a regular door. Can't do a pocket door. Don't think a sliding door or a cabinet-style door would work. Need something polished and gorgeous.... but that doesn't shove you down the stairs when you open it.
Ugh. I seriously think my best option is to clear it out and open it up. I'll keep the door thingy in the garage in case we decide we can't live without the closet but my new goal will be to find homes for all the stuff in there.... where the HELL am I going to store my vacuum and carpet cleaner?? Sigh. If I were a strong woman I would only have 10 outfits of personal clothing and I could use the extra space in my closet.