Friday, August 20, 2010

The Floor Breakdown

So Hot got crazy this week.  He has two extra days off and he (and Sweet) worked on the swing set.  Then he offered to help me with my floor project.  I said yes.  He took off the trim and cut the carpet (that two walls were built on) back.  He went to Lowe's to buy putty to cover the screw holes in the floor.  He bought $30 worth of stuff we already had and didn't need (rollers, roller base, painters tape, paint pan). 

But when someone else is helping you do something you can't criticize the way they do it, can you?

He taped.  (I never tape.  I know.  Bad girl.)  He primed.  He rocks.

Next steps:  Touch up edges by ceiling, fill nail holes in walls and touch up, touch up by baseboards (with no carpet they might go down lower when we put them back on).  Slap down a couple coats of paint on the floor.  Reinstall baseboards.  Get a rug.  Put in furniture and stuff on the walls.

The breakdown:
Carpet removal:  Free.
Carpet haul out:  Free... sort of... I owe Hot.
Sander:  $20 for 4 hours plus sanding pads.... $37.50.
Floor primer, stain & brush cleaner:  $50 (or so).
Additional things my husband bought that I already had laid out for the project:  $30.
Rug:  Not sure yet.
Other stuff:  Maybe a bookcase.  Some sort of threshhold thingy.  Still not sure what to do with wainscotting... leave it or paint it?  What color?  Also... in the bottom picture below you can see the odd wall thingy that probably was the stove pipe.  Gotta love old houses... or not.

4 comments:

Christal said...

Wow, what a nice difference. Are you going with a light color paint on the floor. (I'm not really loving the charcoal gray tile at my place... too many footprints show too easily.)

Elle said...

wowza . . . nice color choice . . . like night and day . . . way to go!!

SarahP said...

I think you should paint the wainscotting. Maybe a darker color than on the wall, or maybe a rich cream. I think the room looks great!!

Homestead said...

It is just primer. The true paint is chocolate brown.

I want to paint the wainscotting... but do I dare? Painting wood is a sin around here. Is it easier to ask forgiveness than permission??