Monday, January 11, 2010

I feel inspired... not to paint... but to TALK about paint

Check out comments here. Now don't you think Christal should post paint brands/names so we call all chime in?

Seriously. You know about me and paint.

Elle can just say, "I'm painting." and get after it. I hem and haw and even after I pick a color and buy the paint I can't get if finished.

See my almost done dining room walls for proof.

You'll notice I did NOT put "finish painting" on my list of resolutions.


Last time Elle was here (lordy, was that.... um...... the summer of 2005?) she motivated me to paint the most offensive room in our house.... the peach bathroom. Do you KNOW what peach does to you when you are trying to put on makeup? Ugh. I looked like I had jaundice every time I tried to powder my nose.

So I had been thinking blue.... something very Pottery Barn with dark blue and crisp white. We ended up, somehow, with purple. I loved it for a while but now it is looking worn and I need a change. I'm planning to go with a neutral and then be able to change it up easily with some small accents.... like right now I have an orange thing of pump soap on the counter. It smells great and was on clearance. I'd like to get one orange or brown hand towel and a pumpkin spice candle and call the my "fall look" for now.

That summer we also painted my dryer. What? You've never painted a major appliance? No problem. You pick up a $6 can of appliance spray paint, put on a Thomas the Train dvd for the kids, drag the dryer onto the lawn and ta-da. My almond dryer matches my white washer. The best part? The reason I GOT the dryer in the first place was my auntie got a new white washer and couldn't stand them not matching so she was ditching her almost-new dryer.... seriously.... I hauled it out of the lean-to behind the shop at the farm. I've also turned harvest gold oven hoods to neutral. Amazing stuff... that appliance paint.

Next up was the laundry room. I've had a love affair with this particular shade of blue for a long time. Benjamin Moore's Palladian Blue. But I've never had a place for it.... so I painted the laundry room. And one wall black chalkboard. Very trendy. I still need to do the ceiling with some classic ceiling white. (Decorator's white with a touch of black in it.... or so I'm told.) I have the paint but not the motivation.

Then we did a slight remodel.... chopping our odd-shaped living room in half to make another bedroom. It required me to prime and paint. So it got a lovely shade of green..... peaceful jade.... inside and out. The plan is to redo the living room (currently a shade of antique white) to a neutral and also paint the ceiling with that classic ceiling white.

My new neutral. Ladyfinger. Let me say.... I don't like it on the sample card. At all. But one of the offices at work is painted it and I LOVE it. So I tried it. I like it a lot. Eventually the rest of the living room and the connecting wall to the dining and kitchen will all be painted. Eventually. I might also use it in the bathroom.... in a glossier form.

Moving on.... the kitchen. Some small parts are ladyfinger and I did the two tiny walls green called, um, I think it is Sag Harbor Grey. NO, wait.... Nantucket Grey.  Yes, Nantucket.  I like it but am slightly disappointed it is so close to the green I used in the living room/downstairs bedroom. I also did one wall of the dining room.... the one I still haven't finished. Ahem. Add this to the top 5 list of things I do that drive Hot nuts. (Also include: burning candles, leaving the garage door up, starting multiple projects and not finishing any of them and nagging him to clean up his piles when my piles are still out.) Again... ceilings need paint.

Moving on to the upstairs.... with the strange wall papery stuff. I'd like to do our bedroom Smoke and some sort of blue in the kids' room. Someday. And a crisp glossy white for the closets and shelves. Very trendy. But easy to change.... each room only has two small walls that can be painted.

And that's it. My WHOLE house.

I like to go here for inspiration. She paints often and has a good eye.

3 comments:

Christal Anderson said...

Start at http://www.architecturalhouseplans.com/home_plans/11/floorplan reverse with larger/straight garage to west.

Evening room is (aka morning room on plan) Sherwin Williams SW 6446.
http://www.sherwin-williams.com/search/?search_terms=arugula&section=

I started with Sherwin Williams SW 6454 & got vetoed (3 to 1 vote)
http://www.sherwin-williams.com/search/?search_terms=shamrock&section= My dream was dark green - simple, elegant – I got Sesame Street.

Kitchen - wall behind the fridge/sink/bar sink & island front (south); think barn red … muted jewel tone … Sherwin Williams SW 7593 vetoed as liver colored by party of 3
http://www.sherwin-williams.com/search/?search_terms=rustic+red & section=

It’s Valspar 2007-1B Pumpkin Butter with faux texture mocha glaze & clear glaze tinted with red paint (SW Rustic Red). I only like it at night.

Sunroom’s Valspar 3001-6C, Natural Sheepskin. Butter to me (imagine a sunny pale yellow room with ferny plants) – peach to hubby. We’re going to try to cover with glaze in the bright yellow/white. Hope it works.

Guest bath’s Valspar LA 1201 Pale Jade – Laura Ashley color to Valspar Ultra Premium Kitchen & Bath gloss on the walls & Valspar Honeymilk 7003-4 on the ceiling. Adding mocha glaze over it too. It was my beachy blue/green & white bathroom.

Master bath - I have Valspar/Laura Ashley 502 Apricot 2 for window wells (12” deep) & Valspar CI146 Pink Chocolate for walls to go with the browns in the cheap Chinese brown marble from Lowes. This one is still up in the air. It may be too dark. Cabinets are cherry truffle stained oak with 2 Kohler Demilav sinks in white.

Master bedroom - Valspar/Laura Ashley LA1213 Jade Bath – very pale aqua instead of the Honeymilk on upper 4/5ths of the walls & warm chocolate brown on the bottom 1/5th because of high ceilings. (To go with taupe, cream, aqua/teal rug & new chocolate spread.) This room has the sconce nightmare – I think they’re too high for bedside reading + they lock king bed to this wall – south side common wall with sunroom.

Lower Atrium – up in the air. We were going to do the color in the kitchen in the atrium & by the front door. After doing the kitchen, it’s just too over-powering. Can’t - it hurts my eyes too much. Alternative is Honeymilk with a double glaze of mocha & a clear glaze mixed with the pumpkin spice in the faux textured stone look.

(Lowe’s brochure lured me in - subtle yellow with orange/brown tones with gerbera daisies in a white vase. That’s why all the faux is everywhere.) This paint has to go with these http://www.lightingbylux.com/Meyda-Tiffany-Peacock-Feather-Inverted-Pendant-p/38159-mt.htm center of lower atrium; http://www.lightingbylux.com/Meyda-Tiffany-Peacock-Feather-Flush-Mount-p/27435-mt.htm by guest bathroom/hall closet http://www.lightingbylux.com/Meyda-Tiffany-Peacock-Feather-Semi-Flush-p/31101-mt.htm by front door. (We went through Direct Buy - about ½ this price).

Second floor Loft area Bedroom aka tv/media room is Sherwin Williams Seaworthy SW 7620 & a white ceiling. I LOVE it.

The rest is all Honeymilk … everywhere. Stairs, walls, ceilings, upstairs atrium, reading bay (for 4’5” & under only), bathroom.

I can’t stand to make another color/paint mistake. The laundry room/back entry is begging for color, but hubby made a concrete counter top in a sage color that’s going to be hard to match. I’ll deal with it later. Then there’s the downstairs basement area- white white white… it’s not even all sheet rocked.

Headed Craigs List for ½ price: 2 gallons Shamrock, 1 partial gallon of Rustic Red*, about 8 gallons of Pumpkin Butter. Unless I get a wild hair & just paint one of the Atrium lower walls this red! Wish me luck. Off to paint some more (after I stop at Lowe's & pick up more of the cheap marble. It's dropped to 69 cents for the cream & $1.69 for the brown.)

Christal Anderson said...

I laughed when I saw your mention of Sag Harbor Grey. The trim on our old house is Sag Harbor Grey, but against the tan it looks sage green. Hubby refers to it as battleship grey though. And the new house has sage green siding that is almost an exact match, when I went to paint the trim on the shed with the trim paint that is just a tad darker than the new house siding, it was like they were out of the same can.

kae said...

We painted the playroom (aka Flower's former bedroom) this http://www.potterybarnkids.com/products/benjamin-moore-natura-paint-harbor-fog/?pkey=dbenjamin-moore-paint last weekend. It's much brighter in person, but looks great with white furniture.