Monday, October 06, 2008

Trash Day

Caroline commented on the last post about budgeting garbage.

Love it.

We have to haul our garbage to town to the "transfer station." I think we could have curbside but I don't want to pay for it and I would have to haul in the recycling anyway.

We keep three big plastic garbage cans in the garage. Ew, I know. But in the fall the bears get in them if they aren't in the garage. I have no idea how often we go to the dump... twice a month? Every three weeks?

So Hot worked all of August. 100 hour weeks... no, not 100 hour pay periods... 100 hour weeks. This is fantastic for our budget but it gets a little old for the day-to-day household things. For example, Sweet doesn't like to go to bed without daddy-books.... Goodnight Moon and Guess How Much I Love You... complete with charade-like action are their favorites. Nothing cuter than a 2-year-old plopping her fuzzy-jammie clad self on the couch and declaring, "I wait." when told Daddy isn't going to be home for bedtime....

So the kids and I figured out a new dump-plan.... I condensed the garbage into bags, piled them in the back of the Subie, grabbed the kids & the dump pass... and dropped it all off on the way to daycare in the mornings. I saved a trip to town on the weekend AND driving the gas-hog-air-conditioning-is-out pickup AND avoided the weekend crowds. All while taking care of my main goal which was making sure Hot didn't feel like he was dropping the ball on household stuff because of fires. I don't think he had a clue we were being all yuppie-hippie taking the Subaru to the dump until he saw the dump pass in the visor.... and then he was slightly horrified but mostly impressed.... I could tell....

1 comment:

M&Co. said...

I don't know how much this will help you but a trash compactor is really good at, compacting trash. When we had one, we would have to take trash out, maybe once a week, if that. A lot depended on how smelly our garbage was.