Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Socks

So Elle is back at her de-cluttering mission. We discussed it last week and decided she’d pick the first topic and she went for…. Socks.

This is funny to me since most of the athletic socks I own she gave me…. I just have a hard time finding good socks so when I see her wearing some I like I tell her… and then she buys them for me… it works.

So… socks.

I have a good stash of athletic socks… my favorites being low-cut ones that have some clever designs on them… from Sam’s Club or Costco I think…. Have to ask Elle. I trashed a bunch of them last January in the great closet clean out and I hate to sound hokey but I feel so light and free now.

I confess a love of Smart Wool…. For work and play. Pricey but oh-so-worth it. I tend to wear jeans and black tops in the winter and nothing says fun like a pair of striped smart wools peeking out over my Dansko’s. Plus, it entertains me during the legislative session. I also have on hand several pairs of thin, plain black trouser socks… and two pairs in a slightly dressier finish that I can wear with my heeled, closed-toed mules on days I need to power dress. Oh… I also have a pair of those toes-only socks to wear with above mentioned mules for summer power dressing.

I also confess to being a seasonal sock person. I have a pair of Valentine’s Day socks & a pair of Easter socks and 3 pairs of Christmas socks…. All tasteful… I assure you.

I think that covers my sock collection. I didn’t count but if Elle wants a tally I would say I have 8 pairs of athletic socks, 3 pairs of SW hiking socks, probably a dozen or more pairs of dress socks, 5 pairs of seasonal socks and two pairs of ski socks. I also have 2 pairs of heavy-weight black tights and one pair of really cool grey textured tights. And I’m wearing a pair of smart wool socks in an autumn stripe today.

Have you ever noticed when you are in a meeting and people are seated you really notice their socks… especially if the seating is theater-style. I have an idol and he always has on the nicest and blackest socks I’ve ever seen…. He also wears very nice suits and always has a fine pen in his pocket and a soft-spoken way that inspires confidence and awe…. But it all starts with the socks.

My sweet hubby wears Smart Wool…. And he prefers the over-the-calf heavy-weight ones…. At $22 each. Indeed… the value of his sock drawer is more than my computer. But he knows what he likes and there is a value in that, right? He also has a random selection of white crew athletic socks that are replaced on a regular basis because life is too short to wear threadbare socks.

Sweet is hard on socks. Wow. His socks are purchased in 3 or 6 packs from Ross. Shorties for summer and crew for winter. 2 pairs of Smart Wool for sledding.
I don’t like Hanes…. They don’t fit right and don’t stay up on him. I do like Puma. And whatever the ones he has now…. I just got new ones and tossed all the grungy ones from this summer…. WHERE did he learn to go out on the porch in his socks? Oh.

He does have a couple pairs with spiderman on them…. Cute, but I’m not paying extra for them… I think they are from the dollar store.

Tuff loves socks. Pink socks. Her two favorites are hot pink ones with frogs on the side and pink/white striped ones with kitties on them. She also has a few pairs with ruffly edges and some with fire engines. I just got her a 6-pack of plain white bobby socks… not the cutest thing ever but they sure are easy in the morning.

And tights. Tuff just discovered tights. Thanks to a very generous hand-me-down bag she has lots of cutie-pie Children’s Place tights.

And a note on baby socks. Put them in a lingerie bag in the wash…. They won’t go down the drain, they are easy to sort & match and you won’t have an embarrassing situation involving a baby sock static-clinging to an awkward place inside your clothing.

No comments: