Thursday, October 23, 2008

Dinner: Weekend Edition

Sunday I made beans… I love beans. Cheap, easy…. What’s not to love?? Now, this would be an excellent weeknight meal EXCEPT… my slow cooker is HOT. Really hot. And I’m afraid it will boil dry if I leave it on all day…. Even on low. So we made them on Sunday.

There are a lot of methods to making beans and I rarely use the same one twice.

I don’t usually bother to soak my beans overnight. These were pintos from my aunt’s farm…. But they are old so I wasn’t sure how they would cook up… turns out they were fine.

First, rinse the beans well. Gritty beans are not good. You can quote me on that. Toss ‘em in the slow cooker with lots of water and let ‘er rip… hee-hee. I threw in a chopped up onion and a couple of chopped jalapeno peppers as well. Near the end I tossed in a couple strips of cooked bacon to entice the wee ones to eat the beans… my kids love bacon… like little treasures in the bean field.

Then I got crazy and made corn bread in my cast iron skillet. I have no perfect recipe… I just use what is on the back of the corn bread bag…. Usually turns out ok.

We also made tortillas. Super easy especially when you have a rolling pin master like Hot at the wheel… my tortillas tend to be the fluffy thick kind… his are thin and more traditional…. He has more patience.

So we piled on cheese, beans, sour cream & homemade green tomatillo salsa and had dinner as a family. Oh… that reminds me to give you the tomatillo salsa recipe…. It is from here and works really well with my handy dandy new stick blender. We eat it on everything…. Tuff will eat it with a spoon if you let her…. And, of course, I let her….

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love white bean soup with carrots and onions and smoked pork bones made with chicken broth. Unfortunately, my husband hates beans so we don't have it much.

My husband does like Refried Bean Soup. Spiciness depends on whether you get Rotel or crushed tomatoes

REFRIED BEAN SOUP

1 28-ounce can of Rotel Original Tomatoes or crushed tomatoes
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 cup of finely chopped onion
1 cup Bud Light Beer (I suppose you could do another cup of broth but the beer adds a bit to it)
2 cans Rosarita Fat Free Refried beans
1 14-ounce can of Swanson Fat Free Chicken Broth

Combine tomatoes, garlic, onion, and beer in large pan; boil five minutes, stirring often. Stir in beans an broth; simmer over low heat for 20 minutes, stirring often.

Makes 9.5 cups.

It's quick, easy, low calories and warms up later for a quick lunch at your desk.