Monday, September 29, 2008

Let's Get Cheap.

Ok, so over at moneycentral they are taking about 8 extreme ways to save money.

My question is... who DOESN'T reuse sandwich bags? Seriously? Those things are pricey.... for a few crumbs you toss them? Really?

The rest of the list, besides the reusing sandwich bags:

Turn your car off -- while it's moving. Ok, well, I don't do that... but I do make it a game to see how long I can go down the pass without stepping on the gas or the brake.

Stop saving money. I'm pleased to report we don't have to do this one... at least not yet.

Make your own cleaning supplies. We do this. It works just fine... it is cheap and enviro. I do miss softscrub. And I do confess to not giving up bleach... I've tried. I can't do it. Not yet. My sister swears by the greenworks toilet cleaner... she says it works so well she seriously doubts it is actually "green" at all. I don't use toilet cleaner because sometimes the dog drinks out of the toilet (sorry, tmi, I know) but I do sometimes give in and bleach it.... she's so lucky her dogs are too short to drink out of the toilet....

Stop drinking soda. I don't drink soda or "pop" very often. But try to pry a diet, caffeine free pepsi out of my husband's hand... go ahead. The compromise it buying it on sale at CVS with ECB's.

Move back home with your parents, at any age. Ha. Ha. Ha. If they saw us coming they'd lock the doors... if they had locks on their doors.

Get rid of your carpet. Trying. Can't talk Hot into it. But trying.

Hold a no-spend month. This is a clever idea. Maybe a winner for January when we are recovering from the holidays.

Anybody else? Clever ideas?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So what month isn't a no spend month? $250 wouldn't normally cover us, but other than regular bills, we spend so little that if we splurge a bit it's ok. Splurge = a movie rental, new underwear, etc. maybe once per quarter!

My money saver is not using paper goods whenever possible. Use cloth napkins, dish towels rather than paper. TP and feminine things are non-negotiable though!
Rather than budget spending, I try to budget garbage. It's not as painful to focus on how much trash you haul to the dump, rather than how much you've spent. I find that it is a pretty good indicator though! One kitchen bag/week is great. 3+ is very bad.

M&Co. said...

I had to go see how not vacuuming could save you money. I don't ever vacuum and am working hard at getting rid of the carpets in our house.

Homestead said...

Oh, I wish I could break my husband of his paper towel addiction. We use cloth napkins and towels.

I love the idea of budgeting garbage.... hmmm.... must post about garbage now.

M&Co- I have one word for you. Roomba.

Elle said...

Roomba. Praise the roomba.

Coupons . .. I love coupons. I've taken an oath of "never pay full price." Anyone want to come with me?