Thursday, September 25, 2008

Pink is my favorite color.

Crayola makes a multicultural pack of markers with various shades of tan.

Why don't they make a multipinkeral pack? With various shades of pink? With what is going on at our house this makes perfect sense to me. Because Tuff is suddenly obsessed with pink and princesses. All the pink markers we own are dang near used up....

What is it with little girls and pink? It has to be the hormones her brain is stewing in because it certainly isn't anything I've done. I don't even really like pink. Her room is decorated in retro cowgirl & raggety ann.... she doesn't even have pink sheets....

She got a Disney princess word book for her first birthday which I promptly stashed in the back of the book baskets and out of rotation. She has no barbies. She had no character-princess stuff and, still, she figured it out. She now has princess and tinkerbell jammies, princess stickers and she found the princess word book and sleeps with it every night.

She's asking for pink princess panties.

What's a mom to do?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am in the same boat. I still am very anti-Disney Princess stuff. We don't watch those movies. But my sweet girl somehow absorbed this stuff from the air! She played with boys until she was three and a half years old. Her one girl-friend didn't have any of the princess stuff either. I got every strong princess book out of the library I could find when the princess requests started to emerge. We have found some great versions of the princess and the pea. But we now have princess underpants, nightgown, sleeping bag, jumping ball, and purse. I still avoid the movies but we do read Cinderella incessantly. And she wears pink every day. I can't believe it. So now I am trying to raise a strong, smart princess. What else can I do?