Friday, May 16, 2008

My Tuff May 2008

Dear Daughter-

It's mid-May.... you are rapidly approaching the two-year mark. I love you very much.

I love your rosy round cheeks and your bouncy little pigtails. I love your mullet-hair... heck, to be honest, I'm just happy you HAVE hair. It's a lovely shade of pale brown with highlights that would make us millionaires if we could just figure out how to bottle the formula. I love when you insist on wearing a PINK pretty and how you cram your hat (hat-hat-hat) on your head over your piggies.

Everyone comments on your gorgeous blue eyes. Personally, I love how round they get when you are mocking me with my "gasp of terror" face just before you launch yourself from some inappropriately high point in our household.

I love the tricks you do. Like using a tortilla chip, spoon-like, to shovel salsa in your mouth while the waiter stares in horror and your auntie asks for another bowl of salsa because double (triple, quadruple, tertiary) dipping is rude. You like spicy.... every once in a while you hit a really hot bite and wipe your tongue with your hand saying, "hot-hot-hot" but it doesn't slow you down. You like pickles. You like California rolls. You are an odd little duckie.

You love your brother. You love to give him hug-hugs and you live to torture him. He handles you pretty well and has learned the fine art of the bait-n-switch. You are a clever girl but you can be distracted by shiny things.

You love books.... Good Night Moon is your favorite right now. You also love "bee-bee" which, I am embarrassed to admit, is a little McDonald's toy with purple hair.... we have two.

You accidentally went potty in the potty chair last week. The look on your face... some cross between shock and horror. I promise not to rush it but I was quite proud. You really just like sitting on the potty and having snacks but then, you like sitting anywhere and having snacks. Snacks are good... don't ever let anyone tell you otherwise.

You are an easy kid to like. You travel well and roll with the punches. You spent an hour shopping while mama tried on dresses for the wedding. With a very serious look on your face you move the clothes from one side to the other, pausing occassionally to look at a price tag. It is, quite possibly, the most adorable thing I've ever seen and a very frightening indicator of what lies ahead.

You like to wear your brother's light-up sandals. They are too small for him and too big for you.... can someone explain to me why they are in our house at all? You also love dress up clothes and wearing daddy's hats. Curiously, you also love being naked.... you definitely have your own style. Hold onto that, ok?

You know I'll always love you... no matter what. But sweet pea.... I also really like you. I like your style, your personality, your stubbornness and your amazing flair for living. Remember that.

Love,

Mama

2 comments:

SierraBella said...

Precious letter to your daughter!

Elle said...

love it.