Monday, November 06, 2006

Pondering Milk

I noticed the other little one at my daycarista’s was using a medela bottle too. You know…. Those clear plastic ones with the yellow tops that you consider, in a bleary-eyed pre-coffee state, using as creamer out of the fridge at work. So I asked if I needed to do anything special to mark my bottles. She said my standard pen-n-tape marking was fine and she also noted she could usually tell our milk apart because of the color. The other mom’s was white-blue-white and mine was creamy. I, of course, took “creamy” as code for “yellowish-and-possibly-substandard” so I did an internet search and found this and then emailed my source-for-all-things-baby (and, interestingly, the source of many of my medela bottles) and asked if it was normal to have milk that looks like vanilla slim-fast.

SHE said my milk was perfect and the buttery color (buttery…. I love that term… it sounds so much better than smoker’s-cough yellow) was from high fat content and my chestages were producing a superior product. Her own milkage (which nursed three chubby wee ones and countless others when she donated a freezer full of frozen milk to la leche) was the color of hazelnut creamer. So I got the thumbs up for being a vanilla creamer kinda girl.

I also learned drinking green gatorade can tint the milk. How cool will that be for St. Patrick’s Day???

3 comments:

PSUMommy said...

Woo hoo on your Superior breast milk! Mine is bluish-white with a lot of cream on top...at least, it was with my daughter. With this one I seem to be making pure cream (as he is HUGE, my goodness).

And I didn't know that about Gatorade...I'm going to have to try it out now! *grin*

Anonymous said...

Well if they eat too many carrots it turns their poop orange. So why not?

Elle said...

wow, you have a really smart source . . better keep that one around.