Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Happy Due Date to Me.....

Every morning I check around the bed just to make sure the baby didn’t fall out during the night. So far…. Nothing. There seem to be several reasons I’m just not quite ready to go into labor.

1. FYE. It’s a big deadline for me at work and it is officially over today. Well, at midnight tonight.
2. My sis-in-law is here and my sister isn’t. Don’t get me wrong. I’m sure I’ve mentioned my sis-in-law is wonderful person. I KNOW if I go into labor she will want to be supportive & helpful & in the delivery room if at all possible. WE MUST AVOID THIS AT ALL COSTS…. Because who wants to see another child in the system just because a mom couldn’t control herself and killed her sister-in-law during labor and delivery?? And I just don’t think I would be very good at making license plates…..
3. My sister isn’t here. She’s in Calgary at the Stampede (and having her own “Could I plead insanity if I killed someone in Canada right now?” issues as my mother is traveling with her and can be, ehem, a bit of a challenge.) She gets back Sunday and would really like me to hold off hatching until then.
4. I can’t remember how to time contractions. Seriously. I think it is the beginning of one to the beginning of the next one but I’m just not sure. How did women do this stuff before they knew they were supposed to time their contractions??
5. My teats aren’t waxy.
6. My husband keeps staying out late on fires… this is actually a good thing since we need that overtime pay to cover the costs of having a baby. Indeed, I put the baby on the credit card…. So I’m getting frequent flyer miles AND a new kid. I’d call that a bargain at ANY price.
7. I have ice cream to finish. I will switch to Wilcoxson’s fudgecicles after the baby is born…. I can wolf those down one-handed…. But for now there is a carton of Dreyer’s slow-churned (that stuff is GOOD) calling my name and it requires two hands (or The Shelf) to eat. Have I mentioned I’m actually SCARED to eat a root beer float?? I have so much to do at work and I’m so worried about SIL wanting to be in l&d with me I am AVOIDING things that, superstitiously, MIGHT put me into labor (well, the root beer float seemed to be what did it LAST time…. Says my pregnant brain….)
8. My loving & supportive husband (who assures me there is no way ON GOD’S GREEN EARTH I DON’T CARE IF HELL DID JUST FREEZE OVER & YOU”RE MAKING MARGARITAS FOR THE PARTY his sister will be anywhere NEAR the hospital for delivery) is having strange anxiety dreams about redneck mafia guys and fire protection issues and being run off the road by fancy black cars & redneck pickups and it cracks me up.
9. We’ve decided on names…. Officially. (oops…. That’s a reason TO go into labor, isn’t it??)
10. I’m wearing really cute panties today and I just can’t WAIT for another trial run at the stirrups for my appointment this afternoon. Really. You can’t practice that stuff enough.
11. Everyone says I’m really gorgeous in the shamu-suit.
12. I bought a pack of newborn diapers and they are so tiny I don’t want to use them…. So I’m waiting until the kid is too big for them like Sweet Boy was….I
13. ’m really out of shape. At some point in the next 3-4 days I really need to get in shape for delivery…. Hit the gym, do some yoga, go for a walk…. something. You know the phrase, “Damn, I wish I’d done some Kegal’s.” is going to come out of my mouth during the drive to the hospital. There. I just did a few now…. I feel better, don’t you??

1 comment:

LadyBug said...

There. I did a few Kegels in your honor.