Thursday, November 06, 2008

Turkey Lurkey

There are several unfortunate stories out there involving my sister and turkeys. Not the guys she's dated but the actual animal... usual frozen & in a bag.

The big family secret is.... I'VE NEVER COOKED A TURKEY.

Until Now.

I didn't work on Tuesday and I've been trying to empty the freezer in the garage in hopes of filling it with elk soon. Well, in the bottom, I found a turkey. How old? Who knows. This is just another argument for an upright freezer.... even if they aren't as energy efficient.

So Tuesday afternoon I was basting bird. I had it all planned to be ready at 6 but the damn button wouldn't pop. I shoved a meat thermometer in places I'd rather not talk about and the temp was well into the safe zone everywhere I poked it.... so I think the button was wonky. It finally did pop... with a little, ahem, help.

So the turkey was delicious. The potatoes had too much water in them so they were a little gluey but still quite tasty. Stove Top... how can you go wrong with stove top stuffing? I made fresh rolls and they were delightful. The gravy was way too salty. My kids shoveled food into their faces until I thought they would pop. Hot has lunches for the rest of the week. And I'm planning a giant batch of turkey soup for the weekend.

1 comment:

M&Co. said...

Turkey's great! We had turkey one night this week. We'll save the carcass and make broth. We ate turkey sandwiches tonight with soup. We'll probably have Turkey with Leeks and Cream and, of course, I will snack on it.