Monday, November 10, 2008

tidbits

SarahP made me laugh out loud with her comment about heart & liver as spare dog food. I will eat elk heart. I won't eat the liver of any animal.... sorry, I worked on a liverfluke research project and I just can't do it.

Caroline asked about doing black beans for the freezer. I just do what the crockpot lady tells me to do to make beans and they turn out ok. I'd like to try her refried bean recipe but haven't gotten around to it. She also mentioned what to do if the power goes out for days? I'd call my dad and ask him to bring the generator down. But, seriously, we would pack a bunch of quilts in the freezer for extra insulation and cross our fingers. Those chest freezers will stay really cold for a long time if you don't open them.

Also... I've been thinking about trying her "crockpot yogurt" recipe. At first, it sounded a little, well, crack pot to me... but I might like it. I do love vanilla yogurt.

And this crayon thing.... I've been dreaming about it. Actually about doing it in a flat pan and cutting out cookie-cutter crayons while it is still warm. How cute would it be if I owned a set of little tiny alphabet cookie cutters?? (I don't... but I've seen them.)

And, OMG, in looking for the crayon link I found PUMPKIN SPICE LATTES. How good does that sound??? Vats and vats of it.

Caroline also asked about painting supplies in the freezer. To this I say WHAT? You DON'T have paint brushes in the freezer? Then you are much more on-the-ball and into completing projects than I am.... When I need to stop a painting project before I'm done, I wrap brushes in plastic wrap or an old Target bag and toss them in the freezer instead of cleaning them. Let them thaw a little and you are good to go.

My best example of this was staining the deck & wrap around porch the summer Tuff was born. As far as projects go it wasn't bad.... mostly flat surface and minimal prep work. But staining with a two-year-old and a newborn? Oh my. So I worked mostly during nap times over the course of several weeks. Got it done.

Wanna list of current "paint projects" in my freezer?

1. White exterior primer brush. For painting the porch posts & windows.... I was going great guns but then I hit the south side of the house... where the "weather" happens.... and much scraping and sanding is required.... I lost my motivation.
2. Pale green (peaceful jade) interior brush. Painted Tuff's room... still need to finish the ceiling edging... also planning to paint some of the living room this color.
3. Palladian blue interior brush. If I ever get the ceilings painted I will need this brush to touch up where I mess up in the laundry room.
4. Lady finger interior roller. I started the dining room & kitchen... and I have the paint..... and I want this to be the "base" color for the whole house....
6. Ivory tusk interior roller. The laundry room cabinets.... I just need to touch them up where they got dinged when we installed them.... but I can't seem to get around to it.

Who else lives in an ongoing to-do list of paint projects???

3 comments:

Unknown said...

OK, we DO wrap them in plastic, sometimes, but that's as far as that goes. If they get hard before we're ready to use, sometimes you can flex them back and forth in a little thinner, sometimes they're trash. Because I know this about me (and more often my husband), we never buy good quality expensive paintbrushes. I get very cheap ones that actually start to fall apart during their first use. Wasteful, I know, but I can name about a million other ways that I'm greener than most people, so I'm ok with that.

Stephanie ODea said...

that's a neat tip about putting the paint brushes in the freezer! I've never heard of that. I'm going to try it next time. I have little sponge brushes covered in paint from pretty much every room in the house in separate ziplocks for touchups, but they get hard and crusty after a few weeks.
neat!

thank you so much for all of the links to my site. I'm having a lot of fun with this project.

xoxo
steph

Mrs. Peterson said...

Hey, thanks for putting me up top in this post! I should mention though that my dogs rarely eat such lovely treats as heart and liver...they survive on regular old dog food (I won't mention the kind I buy because I'm embarrassed to be so cheap) and they dine on calf placenta and deer carcass on those special occasions. Oh, the country life.
I don't currently roll with brushes in my freezer, but I'm ready to paint our bedroom and do some exterior trim...but alas, it's November, so the trim will have to wait until next year. Darn.