Monday, March 03, 2008

Joiners and Loners

Love this. Relate to this. But have decided to not worry about this. Friends. Who has 'em? Who needs 'em?

Sometimes I watch my neighbors decorate their mailboxes together (green foil shamrocks this month) and wish I was more of a joiner. But I'm not.

And sometimes I look at the women I know locally who could or should be "part of my circle" and I wonder what is wrong with me. Then I look again and wonder what is wrong with them.... I don't play nice with the competimommies. And I don't exactly fit in with the granola mommies. Or the snob mommies. Or the redneck mommies.

So what's a girl to do?

I have one close long distance friend. You can find her here. I have one local friend that I should spend more time with because I really do like her and we have lots in common (including high school, offbeat families, husbands who hunt, toddlers & long legs) but we both realize we are what we are.... and neither one of us is a joiner. I imagine I will gain more "mom friends" as my kids get older. Or not.

There are times.... there are times....

2 comments:

M&Co. said...

Pretty much everyone I know now is someone I know because I'm a lawyer, i.e. other women lawyers, someone I know because she is the mother of one of the GirlChild's friends or someone I know because I work on something for church, school or both. That's not to say that I don't like them (because I do! Honest! No really!) but we have become friends not because we clicked on any level but because our kids have been going to the same school for the last eight years. Margaret

Anonymous said...

Too bad I live at the other end of the state (although I am headed your way today). You and me and our long legs could start our own posse. I too don't fit in with the ranch wives, the soccer moms, the crafty moms who have sparkling clean countertops and make their own cupcakes, or really any other group. I just am.
And joiners?? Pshaw, who needs 'em? Me, I like to be the snarky one on the outside.