Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Snot Walrus

Those of you with kids already know what this post is about by the title. The dreaded snot walrus is visiting. It's been a while but I've got two little ones with slime running out of their faces. The littlest one, Tuff, sneezes and then just stands there, petrified, going "uh, uh, uh" until someone brings her a tissue..... play the game too slowly and she wipes it, delicately, on her sleeve. I become suspect when she comes up wanting a hug... I know she really just wants to wipe her tiny little button nose on my shoulder.

So we have used up the vapo-bath (note to self: Email Elle and ask her the name of that natural vapo stuff she was talking about...). We read the directions for the temporal scanning thermometer. We are officially out of tissues. We polished off the last bits of (expired) liquid generic motrin & tylenol. I know Sweet is watching too much tv when he grabs my face with both hands, looks me deeply in the eye, and says, "Mama. I need delsym." And he can spell it. Damn commercials. We've eaten every can of "emergency" soup in the cupboard.

The three-day weekend allowed us to wallow in it. The kids took long baths and then put on fresh jammies regardless of the time of day. We went outside (fresh air. I believe in fresh air.) with snowsuits over jammies. We watched movies and read every book in Tuff's book case. We opened a brand new pack of markers. Sweet & I are working our way through "Farmer Boy" and we made a good dent this weekend. Hot Stuff & I gave ourselves permission to read.... trashy novels and magazines.... saying we were saving our strength so we didn't come down with anything. We painted the laundry room wall black (what? How did that sneak in there? Black? In the laundry room? More later....). We didn't go ANYWHERE. Well, Hot Stuff ventured out for movies and an egg from his mom. (For baking bread.)

Tuff does this hilarious full body shudder when she takes medicine. Sweet likes to chase his with a shot of juice. Hot Stuff & I drank whiskey... medicinally, of course. Several days later and we are both still snot-free so it MUST be working.....

2 comments:

MeesheMama said...

My littlest one will sneeze in the next room and then come padding expectantly into the room where I am sitting, stand in front of me, face upturned, smiling a little, waiting for the wipe. He blows obediently into the tissue and turns right around and returns to what he was doing.

It could be the most darling thing he does right now. (I think you might have inspired my next post.)

Elle said...

ooh, ooh -- candycane bathsalts from lemongrass spa - a little dab will do ya; and it works better, faster, longer & stronger than any over the counter vapor bath -- xoxox, yours in facial congestion, elle