Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Other Daycare Things....

Let's talk about crazy things we've seen while looking for daycare.....

Daycarista told me the story of another in-home care place with 14 kids and a house about the size of Daycarista's upstairs.... about 900 sq feet. The other daycare said they were licensed. Ya think?

My friend, K, told me about going to a daycare (with an appointment so they had time to tidy up if they wanted...) and sitting on the couch to interview. The place was knee-deep in toys (I'm sorry but if there are too many toys they just can't all be clean) and when she left she realized she'd been sitting in something very wet..... ew. (Aside for those who know... the daycare, oddly enough, was run by our former FIRST GRADE teacher... uh-huh. Crazy is as crazy does...)

I don't know much about daycare. I went with the recommendation of a good friend with three little girls, visited, fell in love and then begged for a spot. Initially we were turned down because she had another little one coming back in January (this was August) and wouldn't be able to handle that many little ones at one time. So I asked for coverage until January. Hot Stuff's job that year only had him working 10 months so he had January & February off and stayed at home. My plot worked, daycarista fell in love with Sweet Boy and just couldn't let him go. Ha-ha. I found out later she actually restructured some of her part-timers to 3 days a week rather than 5 half-days a week so she could bring in extra help on those three days and accommodate everyone.

I like all the other kids.... although there is only one other (part-time kindergarten) boy. But I like to think that will bring out Sweet Boy's feminine side. I've already learned "boy polish" is clear with blue sparkles.

Her rates are reasonable. Daycare for two kids (one potty-trained, one under 2) just went up $4 to $36/day.... which is cheaper than the state-subsidized care here in town. She feeds them breakfast, lunch & snack. She teaches them colors & letters. They read a lot and do puzzles and draw. They have cats, a dog, bunnies, mules, horses & chickens. The yard is giant and beautifully kept with a swing set and lots of nice play toys. They have a schedule and rules and know what to expect. They always come home smelling like sunscreen in the summer. They only seem to watch tv during the morning while they are waiting for all the kids to get there or for special occasions. The playroom is clean, clean, clean and Sweet Boy came home singing the clean up song and picking up his toys.

Daycarista really has managed to have a home that allows thinking adults to co-exist with a whole lotta little kids. There are lots of books and toys but things have a place and they get put away before the next set of toys come out.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude, blog went the way of acid-washed jeans. In other words, I was threatened with A. a "doocing" or B. a resignation from my job. Guess what I chose?!! Life was shit for awhile. Serious, smelly, first trimester shit.
Now, I have a new job, I just passed the halfway point of being knocked up, and no blog, and serious withdrawals!!!
So here I am.
-OCG

Anonymous said...

OCG- Really? You need to start another secret blog so you can tell the story.... Want to hear all the knocked-up details.... except the video of the conception... we can all do without that.... new job.... wow. You go girl!!

Homestead

M&Co. said...

OCG: Oh! I worried about that with you; the doocing part, that is. I hardly ever tell anyone about my blog, and while I've become more open recently, I always had that plausible deniability thing going for me.

I'd love to have details of everything, though like Homestead, I'm not much interested in the video of the conception.

M&Co.
myowncircleofconfusion.com