Sunday, August 27, 2006

And while thinking about boob-lube….

Is anyone else bothered by the fact that the tube of hospital-grade (I even got it FROM the hospital!) lanolin* that I’m smearing on my nipples (ew…. Wonder what google-hits I will get from that phrase….) says “DO NOT INGEST” and “KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN” on it?? What do they think I need it for in the first place? And, more importantly, What is it going to do to my baby who is ingesting it??

*Interesting (or not) side note: With Sweet Boy I did not use lanolin…. Too sticky…. I used Crisco (NOT butter-flavored) instead. But this time I was in the hospital with no Crisco handy and the nurse gave me a tube of lanolin and I’ve been pretty happy with it so far.

2 comments:

PSUMommy said...

Hmmm...I read this & went to check out my tube of Lansinoh...it doesn't have anything on it about not ingesting it. Curious. So I looked it up and found http://www.herbalremedies.com/lanolin-information.html and http://www.jtbaker.com/msds/englishhtml/l1268.htm Basically- *huge* doses of the stuff can hurt your stomach, but in small doses it doesn't do a thing. Is the hospital stuff pure lanolin or are there other ingredients?

I used lanolin with all 3 of my kids about twice, lol. But I *love* the stuff for chapped lips - better than chapstick!- and small cuts on my babies. Since there aren't any meds in it, I feel safe using it when they get scratches as teeny babies!

Susie said...

Yea, Lansinoh used to be my best friend. I'd buy it by the case at Wal-Mart.