Friday, May 14, 2010

If I use the finest drill bit can I just drill holes in my face like Donald Duck??

So I had sinus surgery (and my tonsils removed) in the fall of 2008.  I had been having chronic sinus infections since I was a teen.  (Originally blamed on allergies to pine.... which I've been tested for... I'm not allergic to pine.) 

The summer of 2009 I was worried the sinus thing hadn't worked because I was getting headaches and odd feelings in my head.  Turns out it happened every time I got in the car.  The car with air conditioning.  I was, essentially, giving myself an ice cream headache by running cold air over sinuses that hadn't seen air flow in about 20 years.  The doc had warned me it would take about 18 months for them to heal.

Fast-forward to a few weeks ago.  I felt kinda bad but not terrible.  I was having some headaches but didn't think much about it.  I spent so many years just living with daily headaches that it didn't occur to me that it wasn't normal. 

Then I stopped and listened to my body.

And I realized I had a sinus infection.  So I got a z-pac.  I felt better for a few days.  Then I felt worse... much worse.  So now I'm on another round of drugs, fingers crossed, hoping to feel better in a few days.

I'm so proud of myself for not just soldiering through.  I'm so proud of myself for going to the doctor.  It's a tiny victory to actually do something for myself.

I'm so pleased with this little bit of self-help momentum.... I'm seriously considering scheduling myself for a haircut... wouldn't that be the ultimate in self-care luxury????

1 comment:

Elle said...

mmm-hmmm. A haircut. That'd be a luxury. If you can hold out until July, I'll schedule you with the gal that I take my kids to. She's fabulous . . . she does my hair once a year, whether I need it or not.