Friday, May 29, 2009

Windows

Ok. I give. How do you wash windows?

Seriously.

I've tried the attach-it-to-the-hose spray cleaner thingies.

I've tried vinegar and water and old newspaper.

I've tried windex and a microfiber cloth.

I've tried sudsy ammonia and a squeegee.

My windows look like heck. Usually in the spring I get all gung-ho and do two or three windows a weekend until they are all done. (Six windows upstairs, ten regular windows downstairs, one big picture window and the front door glass....) This morning I was looking through the ONE window I've done so far and it looks terrible.

Sigh.

5 comments:

Elle said...

I love, love, love the windex spray on thing in the big green trigger bottle that you just attach your hose to -- but I can't find it this year . . . . damn!!

Anonymous said...

You want to know the trick? My mom told me after she saw my dirty windows ( she is a real estate agent and says that windows are the eyes of the house). It is called squeegee off. First you mix up a batch of squeegee off, then get a lambs wool scrubby and scrub like heck, and then you use a squeegee to squeegee off. Perfect professionally cleaned windows every time.

Unknown said...

I do the ammonia. Scrub it on with a sponge mop, then rinse with the water hose. No squeegee, just let 'em dry.

kae said...

I've given up on washing my windows. Every time I do it rains and the wind blows 100 mph in the night. Always. If it would rain enough to help the drought I'd be happy to wash them a couple times a week....but it only spits enough to ruin my windows.

SarahP said...

Wash windows? Hahahahahaha!! Our water is too dang hard. Washing them would require not only a ladder for ALL windows, but also someone would have to rub them dry to prevent hard water spots. So the rain washes them. I wash them inside with vinegar and 'spensive water. When the urge strikes.
I'm more concerned about what is outside the windows--last night, it was a mama antelope nursing her fawn. AWWWW!