Tuesday, January 23, 2007

To bring you all up to speed.....

I realize I've failed to post about this yet. Oops.

Elle & I are on a mission.

It all started with the great dishtowel meltdown.... and then Elle says, "Hey, I did my dishtowels too.... what's next?"

So Week 2 was DVD & VHS tapes. I sent a small box of old VHS movies to Good Sam's and scrapped a pile of blank tapes. I figure I need 3 blank tapes. 2 for recording and one for loaning out things I've recorded. So why the drawer full? Then I sorted the remaining tapes & disks into a few categories and shoved them back in the drawer: kids, stuff to watch over and over, hunting, workout. I didn't get up the nerve to "release" any of the kid vids.... "The Brave Little Toaster Goes to Mars" is still there. So is that particularly annoying "Barney does Halloween" video. But I did let go a few "tapes of tapes" of kid stuff.... I didn't touch the sacred hunting vids & dvd's.... that's Hot Stuff territory. And I got rid of two really awful workout tapes.... but I have high hopes of someday DOING some of those tapes..... so I held onto that illusion..... for now. And I felt pretty good about things so SB & I borrowed "Big Bird Goes to China" from the library on Wednesday after storyhour to celebrate.

This weekend I realized there were two boxes of tapes in the garage.... boxes I moved out when my sis moved in. So I guess I'm not officially done with week 2 yet.... darn.

Week 3 was candles. Clean the candle holders of wax and soot. Toss. Sort. Burn. That kind of thing. I decided a long time ago I really just want one jar candle on my kitchen window sill for burning..... so I got rid of a bunch then. But this week I was able to free the white-but-stored-with-red tapers that looked like hell. And I started burning the 3-wick red candle I've had FOREVER and am now calling a Valentine's candle. And we've had candle-lit dinners every night but I still have a lot of tapers to get rid of.... It's hard to burn candles at our house.... Hot Stuff has candle-fire issues and Sweet Boy likes to blow them out.

Week 4 (started yesterday) is file cabinets. YEAH! I have no file cabinets. Well, actually, I have two 2-drawer cabinets but one is empty and the other has home-garden stuff in it. Magazine clippings and the like. I have one drawer of old tax returns and "important" stuff. But all the 2006 paperwork (old phone bills anyone?) goes in an accordian file by the desk and has already been stashed in a box in the shed. Yes, I keep them 7 years. I'm not sure why. So now I'm working to scan any clippings I really want to keep and getting rid of the paper.....

Anyone else playing??
As can be seen here.

No comments: