Tuesday, December 19, 2006

All I Want for Christmas is a.....

Is it a Bad Thing the baby is getting a wafflemaker for Christmas?

What? The Damn Dog (formerly known as Gunnar) managed to knock ours off the kitchen counter and break it into more pieces than even my masterful superglue abilities can repair.

And we need our waffles.

And I need gifts for the baby under the tree. She was getting rice cereal in her stocking but we had to break that out last night after I got tired of her staring at me while I consumed 12 lbs of rock-hard fudge. (Last week's to-do list included purchasing a new candy thermometer...overcooked fudge is chalky.) So we ripped the bow off the rice cereal and let her slurp some. She actually seemed to enjoy it.

I would write it in her baby book if she had one. Oh, that would be a great Christmas present IF I COULD FIND ONE. Yes, I live in a God-forsaken hick town but I can't even find a decent one on hallmark.com. WTF?

So I told my sister-in-law... only half-joking.... about getting the baby a wafflemaker for Christmas and she found me a deluxe Oster version on sale for about $50. What? No. We will be purchasing the $12 Target special.... the dog won't mind.

Hot Stuff's family is horrified by the gifts we're getting Darling Girl. We got Sweet Boy a new carseat for his first Christmas and various other things a new baby really needed. Darling Girl is getting some new sippy cups, pacis, a very cute storybook from her brother, a giant box of hand-me-down Little People stuff (from the amazing Elle), and a baby book... if I can find one. Am I making a mistake? Would a bit of additional retail therapy now prevent years of on-the-couch therapy later?

Oh, wait. Or is it that I'm feeling a wee bit envious of my well-off sister-in-law? The people who bought their daughter a $100 lego knight set and gave it to her in early December "just because." I don't have a problem with the way we give to our kids (1. They don't need all that commercial stuff and, 2. We can't stand the clutter.) EXCEPT when this little demon starts comparing what we give them to what their cousins get. My aunt used to talk about this kind of thing when her kids were little and had the same problem with their cousins. Maybe I should call her.

I shopped with the sis-in-law the weekend after Turkey day and she bought her kids a lot of stuff and she pushed me to buy for my kids. I didn't. For one thing.... if I'm going to spend money on things like books I will do it at the local Montana Book & Toy Company rather than Barnes & Noble. Prices are the same so why not shop locally if possible? Sis-in-law bought lots of toys for her kids.....I actually returned the Little People Garage I got for Sweet Boy when Elle offered me 1000 pieces of Little for the cost of postage. He is also getting a race car launcher thingy and the movie "Cars" from Santa, a box with some much-needed long underwear and some coloring/activity books in his stocking. Daddy got him a model Caterpillar tractor. Santa generally tends to be very into oral hygiene at our house..... stockings typically have new toothbrushes/paste and maybe something mama wouldn't normally splurge on... like Batman tattoo bandaids. Santa is a practical man.

But enough of me listing what I'm buying my kids to try to justify spending too much and/or not enough on them. Back to the original question.... is it bad that Darling Girl is getting a wafflemaker for Christmas??

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know, when the Husband and I got married, we got an electric ice cream freezer from a couple I'd known all my life. At the time, I thought it was a little bit of an odd gift. But you know, we used it year after year, and finally when we'd been married 14 or 15 years, it gave up the ghost. By then the husband in that couple had been dead a long time and most of our other wedding gifts had been long used up broken or forgotten. But every summer when we'd get that ice cream freezer out to make ice cream, I'd remember that couple fondly.

Maybe the Wafflemaker could be sort of like that ice cream freezer.

And we've had waffles for dinner twice in the last ten days or so. So I know that a wafflemaker is a necessity.

Anonymous said...

Nah, she won't know the difference, anyway.

My kids always get new toothbrushes in their stockings, too. And this is the first year the girls aren't getting Band-Aids in their stockings. (At 8 & 9, they've pretty much outgrown the thrill of spiffy Band-Aids.)

Susie said...

A waffle-maker says "we are a happy family who likes to share meals of fun things together." I say it's an excellent gift. I don't think your kids will gripe toooo much about their stuff vs. the cousins' stuff, because they will be raised day in, day out with a different (better) set of values.
Merry Christmas to you and yours, Homestead :)

Anonymous said...

Just stopping by to wish you and your sweet family a very Merry Christmas. God bless you and yours.

PSUMommy said...

Well, my 6-month-old got serving dishes for Christmas. I could just sense that he wanted them when we saw them at T.J. Maxx...

Don't worry about the comparison thing. If they even notice, you can use the other family as an example...turn it into an opportunity to explain what you feel Christmas is really about.

Merry Two Days After Christmas to you and your family!