Thursday, November 15, 2007

Let's talk baby butts.

Yesterday I sent my daughter to daycare with zinc-oxide based diaper cream on her face. What? ALL those adorable round cheeks get chapped in the fall.

So let's talk bum rash today, shall we?

My kids have never been prone to butt rash. (As I type that I can hear Sweet Boy saying, "Don't say butt, mama, it's a naughty word.") We did have the horrible-month-of-rash back in Oct 2005 but other than that it has been pretty smooth sailing. Some moms (good moms) put diaper creme on the bum every changing... since my kids are lucky to get a diaper wipe every changing maybe I'm not the best one to discuss this topic. Heck, my kids are lucky to get changed more than once a day. You think I kid.

And seriously, cream or creme??

So, here, for your amusement are my favorites:

Burt's Bee's: Love the smell. Kinda thick and very white paste. I have a tube with the old foil tube packaging... which splits and oozes but I think it is in plastic tubes now. I've been known to rub it on my feet and put socks on... and then there are the baby's other cheeks that need moisturizing....who doesn't love a multi-tasking product?

A&D: I have the clear ointment and I like how smooth is glides on. I've always wanted to say that.... see how Smooth it Glides On?? hee-hee. Thank you, internet, for amusing me.

Basic Vaseline in a tube: Great for bums, cuticles, lips... you name it. Although I think the tube I have now is actually non-petroleum based un-jelly rather than true vaseline.

For horrific diaper rash: Nothing beats a bare bum. So you have to mop up the linoleum once in a while.... bare butts rule. Also aveeno oatmeal soak (or oatmeal in a sock if you're cheap and lazy like me...) I've used the hair dryer on butts, corn starch and put a piece of fleece in diapers. I've also made my best friend's husband buy yeast treatment at Albertson's for my poor babe. We had the applicator sticks as bath toys for a long time after that one. For truly horrible rash there is a perscription ointment that I hear works wonders.

So what are you slathering on you baby's bottom? And what are your best multi-tasking stories?

3 comments:

M&Co. said...

We used Bag Balm to treat diaper rash but didn't generally put it on unless there was a problem.

Anonymous said...

A&D on the poor little constipated bottom to ease "movement" when it happens...also use on my lips (but not with the same application as on the bum!) and on the cracked skin on my fingers (also use Bag Balm for that--love me some bag balm, good on dry heels too)

Balmex to prevent babboon bottom, but usually only at night or if she's a little red. The "Equate" doesn't work as well and Balmex is spendy! I've also heard that "Butt Paste" is good, but I haven't bought it yet--I need a coupon first. Yeah, I'm a coupon-cutting loser!

Mineral oil for baby's constipation and I put it on the baby after her bath before I get her out. It makes for a slippery little girl, but she is so allergic to lotions and likes to be dressed right after the bath (if she could get dressed in the bath, she would), so I just pour it in. Lasts until the next bath! Also works as a dry-skin reliever for me, but a little greasy.

Lanisoh for dry skin or on baby's chapped chin.

Hmmm..what else? Everything is a multi-task at our house!

--One Crue Multi-Taskin' Mama

Elle said...

omg, this is meant for me -- i will just write my own blog on butt products