Friday, July 13, 2007

And then, my head exploded..... igniting a new fire....

My first effort to include my offspring in an organized activity was a complete failure. I knew it would be..... that's why I put it off so long. While others were attending music classes and play groups my poor progeny was only allowed storytime at the library and a few trips for pizza at Costco as group play.

No gymnastics.

No dance lessons.

No soccer.

No t-ball.

Nothing.

Until this week. Swimming Lessons.

I was prepared.

I had sunscreen, trunks & a towel for him. And goggles in the car in case they wanted him to have those too. I had swim gear for myself & the baby. I had my mother-in-law coming to meet us after lessons. I had a picnic packed.... the plan being to do lessons, eat our picnic, then swim for fun, shower, put on jammies and then head home.

Now, I know what you are thinking. Competi-mommy. And you are wrong. I'm intensely and freakishly nervous and shy about these kinds of things. I can't explain it. I blame my parents. It was the way I was raised.... something like that. Anyway. I need to carefully think out these kinds of events or I find myself hyperventilating and hiding behind potted plants.

So I left work early to gather my children. And on the radio I hear, "We are evacuating the swimming pool.... all unattended children will be taken to the fair grounds until they can be picked up." And I think, "Huh, I wonder if lessons are cancelled??"

This, people, is my life.

2 comments:

Susie said...

Was it a "fecal incident?" That has closed our pool a couple of times.

Homestead said...

Sweet Jumpin' Joe. A FECAL INCIDENT?

Please wait a moment while I go bleach the children.

No. It was a wildfire roaring up to the edge of the parking lot.... seriously.

The best part was the phone message when I got home.

"Um, yeah, swimming lessons are canceled today. Um, there's a wildfire?! And we have to evacuate?! And, well, the pool may open again later but we're going to go ahead and cancel the lesson."

Fire within 50 feet of several homes. YIKES!