Thursday, May 03, 2007

Earnest Mommy Strikes Again....

I need to have an earnest mommy moment here.

The last time I had a real blow-out one over potty seats.... the kid promptly quit needing the Dora seat and, last I checked, was perfectly capable of using the toilet without a step stool or cartoon character throne.

My, er, production is down.

Background: With Sweet Boy I pumped 3 times a day at work and if I didn't get 12-15 ounces a day I was a freakin' wreck. With Darling Girl I pump twice a day on work days and hope for about 10-12 ounces a day. If I need to "catch up" I will toss in an extra 3-4 ounce session on the weekends. She eats more solids and just doesn't need as much milk at daycare it seems.

But my Bessie-sessions lately have been yielding about 6 ounces a DAY and, while I have lots of frozen stock pile, I am starting to worry. She's 9.5 months so I guess she could wean but I'd rather not.... she is already slimming down with all the crawling she does... once she is walking she will need all the extra calories she can get.... my little turbo-girl.

I changed the valves on the pump.... always the first thing you should do... it's like checking to make sure the computer is plugged in before calling customer service.

I added at least 16 additional ounces of water to my day. I already drink a ton of water naturally and breast feeding makes me drink a ton more.... seriously, when I came back to work our water guy even commented on it.... we use 2 additional 5 gallon bottles when I'm around....

Then I started drinking a cup of mother's milk tea every afternoon. Two days into that and, maybe it is psychosomatic, but things are picking up.... it tastes like what I imagine licking the cat's ass would taste like but whatever.... I'll make any sacrafice for motherhood and blah, blah, blah..... Besides... you can make anything taste better if you put in enough milk & sugar.....

I haven't gotten so bad that I'm taking Fenugreek yet (although I tried that with Sweet Boy) but I am considering it. Again with the.... maybe it is psychosomatic.... and I do believe it makes your sweat smell like maple.... but, hey, I don't mind smelling like the back booth at IHOP if it means (insert noble sacrifice everything mama tone here) my child can be on the boob a few more months (read: I'm too cheap to buy formula).

So take a note Sarah (oh and did you see the colace, perineal massage & witch hazel comments in the last post?? I recommend them all... even though I don't like the smell of witch hazel) here are the things to stash in your mommy arsenal should you find yourself needing them: Mother's Milk Tea (Traditional Medicinals I think? They also make "Smooth Move" if you find the colace isn't doing it for you....) and Fenugreek capsules. There is a 'scription medicine that has an off-label use as a production booster but I can't remember what it is....

Gosh... with my teas & herbals and my holistic Hyland's teething tablets and my last post about not using toilet cleaner.... ya'll will be thinking I'm all green and tree-huggery and stuff.... I better go spray something with Round Up or bleach or something..... and hide my Birkenstocks.....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm all about the Traditional Medicinals teas. Before the Pickle, I swore by Throat Coat and Gypsy Cold Care. Now, I drink Pregnancy Tea (go figure) and a friend gave me a stockpile of the Mother's Milk that she didn't drink. I'm sure I'll be getting the Smooth Move too. Right now I just stir Fiber Sure into my coffee. Yeah, I said COFFEE. It's just a morning cup.
I already have witch hazel--I've always used it on pesky pimples. I researched perineal massage and it freaks me just a bit, but I suppose all the pre-stretching you can do will help. Mrtl, any tips???
Here's my hippie parenting I'm planning--a sling, breastfeeding (oh, the hippieness!!), and...CLOTH DIAPERS. All the conservative ranchers in the family are freaking out.

Anonymous said...

I drank coffee too. I just started mixing half regular and half decaf beans and using a smaller cup. And I'm telling you.... a well-timed glass of iced tea will really help with the ankle swelling....

The Sling. I LOVE my sling. It was made by a woman here in Helena who sells them at the Farmer's Market. It's just a long piece of fabric with 2 big rings in one end. You can stash it anywhere and it doubles as an extra blanket. And you can walk around nursing with it on and no one can tell... and you can tuck the tail in the back of your jeans so no one can see the fat roll. I swear... I'm way more concerned about someone seeing the fat roll than I am about flashing my tit while nursing....

I'll have lots of nursing tips for you... but most of that stuff you just have to wait and see what works and what doesn't because it depends on the person.

Go for the cloth diapers... have you looked on Ebay? I seriously considered it (heck, we don't pay for our water) but most daycare places aren't too into it. And, with the amazing 3 diapers/24 hours baby... well, it just isn't that bad and I wasn't that motivated. The same lady who did my sling (and my favorite receiving blankets) also does cloth diaper covers that are cute and work well.... but I can't seem to find her website right now....