Friday, December 11, 2009

Things I know about Cold

It is a balmy 15 degrees out now. Practically tropical.

I wish I had a block heater in the van.

The school kids do outside recess down to zero degrees. The parents just get a vaguely ominous "dress your children appropriately" message.

Sweet has managed to lose and find his hat about 14 times..... he's worse than his father.

The cats can't figure out the cat door into the shop.

Bugsy is cute in her fleecy snowsuit.

I calculate the actual temperature by triangulating the average on three separate thermometers.... this is a sure sign I am a farmer at heart.

Tuff has her coat unzipped.... that girl does her nordic ancestors proud.

I pink puffy heart Land's End winter gear. My mom found a clearance coat for Tuff last spring and I dropped $45 for a clearance coat for Sweet this fall. Totally worth it. We also got some really nice "squall" gloves for Sweet and fleecy mittens for Tuff and fleece hats for both.... all from clearance of course..... Sweet is wearing some really nice sorel snowboots that I raised my eyebrows over when Hot came home with them.... I don't wanna know the price.... but they are super nice. Tuff is wearing some several sizes too big boots but she loves them because they are warm and purple. Bugsy is wearing the same fleecy snowsuits the other two wore.... and using the rice-bag heater to stay toasty in the sled.

Vaseline on the cheeks is brilliant for insulation.

Hot chocolate is really a good thing..... so is the bottle of Irish Creme from Costco.

2 comments:

Christal said...

I agree clearance is great, esp. LLBean, Lands End & Sierra Trading Post. Darling daughter came to me this week with the news that her hubby's winter gear is worn out ... and if I hadn't bought his Christmas present yet that would be a good thing to replace (since he's a carpenter/builder). So even though I had something for him already, I hit STP online for Carhardtt's and Smartwool (at 20% more off since I am signed up for their DealFlyer.)

**Is it a bad thing when your boxer dogs have better winter gear than your son-in-law?** (Boxers' optimum temperature range is 70 to 71 degrees).

It's blustery, with blowing snow on our end of the Helena Valley. But the new house is closed in to the weather with all the doors and windows are securely in place. There are only 2 doorknobs installed (even though I bought all of them 2 months ago). But in spite of that and the fact that the door knob openings are just covered with blue painters' tape ... the new house without ANY heat source is staying warmer than the old house with furnace running 24x7. I guess this building thing might work out after all.

SarahP said...

Ooh--the rice bag heater in the sled is a great idea.