Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Can I blame this on the breakup of Ma Bell?

Lord help me. I'm nesting. I'm nesting in ways I didn't know I could nest.

Today. It's the phone book's fault.

We got a new phone book.

This triggers a series of "begats" that would make your head spin. (You know..... begats.... like in the bible.)

The new phone book begat a recycling of the old phone book.
Which begat a transfer of the random numbers written on the cover of the old phone book.
Which begat a collection of the random phone number in various locales around the house.
(Like the fridge calendar, the emergency phone list in the phone book, the work call lists, the notepad in the silverware drawer.)
Which begat an update of all these lists and a consolidation into one list.
Which begat a search for a new smaller binder clip because the phone book has to be bound down or it gets all fraggledy in the drawer and the drawer won't shut... but the new phone book is larger and thinner so needs a smaller clip than the old square chubby phone book.

So here I am with a very tidy phone book drawer, a very tidy phone book and phone list and a very tidy fridge calendar and updates of all important phone numbers in ALL THREE cell phones.

The rest of the place looks like Kansas-in-the-time-of-Dorothy but, by the power of Grayskull.... the phone numbers are organized.

Who the HELL has a phone book in their house anyway? Seriously. Google. Join the new millennium people. I horrify myself.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I have not one, but THREE phone books! In my area, you have to keep all three books because even though they're mostly duplicates, some area numbers are only listed in one of the books. The worst part is they publish them at different times in the year, so the number transfer chore happens ALL THE TIME!

Anonymous said...

Luckily the 'eastern Montana' phone book is small. So we have that, plus for some reason the Billings-area book (which includes most of eastern MT anyway), but that's usually in the car. Then we get the directory for the local phone service, which happens to cover eastmont plus into Wyoming and possibly one of the Dakotas, but not, as it turns out, the part of Custer County where we live. Hmmm...

SierraBella said...

I have three phone directories as well, since some local towns are serviced by different telephone companies.
I still keep them around because there are power outages and phone problems rendering my computer worthless at times.
BTW, congrats on your wonderful news!!! Guess its been a while since I came by for a read...