Friday, January 16, 2009

Safety First

Apartment Therapy has a post up about home security.....

Silly city dwellers.

Home defense at the Homestead is pretty solid.... and we don't rely on locked doors....



Also present:

Mary, the 4D utility flashlight on my side of the bed. First, I'll blind ya. Then, I'll beat ya senseless with her no-nonsense streamlined utilitarian functionality. (What? I used to sleep with an escrima stick under my bed and I have the knuckle scars to prove I know how to use it....)

Another serious consideration. We keep the "front" door locked all the time. It's the road-side facing door that opens into our living room. No one ever uses it. BUT. The doorway is directly across from the door to our daughter's room. Here's my concern... you tell me if it is valid. Our bedroom is upstairs, her bedroom is down. If there was a fire in the living room or on the stairway (or the pellet stove), we would go out the window and slide down the porch roof and drop to the ground (or use the hanging ladder stashed under our bed) BUT how would she get out? My husband says he would break her window and snatch her. I say.... I don't know if I can break her window and get her out. For now there is a BIG HEAVY FLOWERPOT on the porch outside her window to assist me. But what I was thinking was.... how about an installed push button combo lock for that "front" door.... so I could shimmy out the window and just open that door and grab her.

All a moot point since she's often in bed with us. But... anyone have any experience with push-button combo locks? How do they hold up in cold-cold weather? Are they pricey? Easy to install?

1 comment:

kae said...

You must shop at the same place for "security" systems....the 4 legged kind. I used to have a flashlight that doubles as a self-defense weapon in my nightstand but Princess found it and added it to her tent stash. I'm pretty sure I'll never see it again.