Tuesday, August 25, 2009

The Castle

Yesterday morning at exactly 6:28 am a big old pickup and two car loads of boys turned into my drive.

At 6:35 am they were on my roof and shingles were raining down into the yard.

At 6:45 am my son wandered out on the porch all sleepy-eyed and made them all laugh by announcing, "WHAT is going on here?"

At 7:00 am they discovered cedar shakes under the chicken coop roof over the kitchen. Layers of OSB and shakes. Nice.

At 7:10 am they discovered rot on the dormers.

At 7:15 am I called the insurance adjuster and told him we documented with photos.

At 8:00 am their shirts and all the shingles were off.

At 8:15 am the dust was all knocked off every ceiling fan and my brain was starting to rattle so I left for town.

At 1:30 pm I came home and pretended to stain the playhouse/swing set so I could gaze on all that work in progress. Is it wrong to want to sit in the yard with a big old salted-rim and watch work all day?

At 3:28 pm they finished up and drove out of my yard leaving behind some slightly flattened plants, 2 nails in the grass and a new castle grey roof.

1 comment:

kae said...

I would have sat and watched....my mom and I drank iced tea and watched a crew lay sod in our front yard once.