Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Blazes....

We went to the farm this weekend and, driving home on Sunday, we came upon a road block. Yes.... a closed road. With a cop. In North-Central Montana.

The deputy at the road block was pretty closed-mouthed about what was going on but he did mention he'd been called in at 7:30 that morning because officers had been on duty all night. And we'd already heard some gossip from a neighbor about a high speed chase.

The news is slowly coming out about a 13-year-old boy from Havre, a stolen car, a gas drive-off, high-speed chase, shots fired....

I'm going to go out on a limb here and call this another victim of the Virginia Tech shootings. Anybody with me on this thought process? According to the local gossip, the kid had some "issues with authority" and was "one to avoid." I can just hear the theme music, "Going Down in a Blaze of Glory" playing in his head as he was flying across those highway miles thinking about all the attention the Virginia Tech guy got.... maybe I'm wrong but.....

I pray for this kid. And the police officers. And all the other kids and families in these tiny communities. Just like I continue to pray for the families of the 33 who died in Virginia. Yes, I said 33. I pray for the shooter and his family just like any others. I think the bible part is "Love the sinner, not the sin." The reality part is..... both of these young men were somebody's little boys. I look at my own little ones, hug them tight and think, "What if...." What if something goes wrong in their brains? They ARE inheriting mental illness from both sides of the family..... Will I be strong enough and brave enough to see it and, more importantly, do something about it?

No comments: